• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've ordered my shed, need advice from shed owners

TheGaffer

Mama Doe
I've ordered a 8ft by 6ft shed. I'm splitting it into 2 sections inside for 2 pairs to live in.

My big concern is still the resident foxes and I was wondering whether it would be best to put their dog crates in the shed and shut them in them at night? Or I could buy a couple of hutches? What do you think?

I used to have a shed the exact same size, split into 2...
What we did was make a wire door to go behind the wooden door... It fixed by 4 hooks and you had to lift the wire door up off the hooks to get into the shed...
The wire was the steel stuff and finished with chicken wire across the bottom as well... It was good in the summer as we could leave the door open and the wire door in place (we could see the door fromthe house though)...
WIth access into the run we made a rabbit sized square in the side of the shed and fitted a door inside the shed that we could slide up and hook open in the daytime and would slide down and stayed fixed at night...
Insulating the shed and putting an extra layer of chipboard around the inside is a good idea...
Ours lived free range in the shed for 8 years with no problems but if you have foxes around then best to be safe :D

Last edited:
I've ordered a 8ft by 6ft shed. I'm splitting it into 2 sections inside for 2 pairs to live in.

My big concern is still the resident foxes and I was wondering whether it would be best to put their dog crates in the shed and shut them in them at night? Or I could buy a couple of hutches? What do you think?

As long as you put good locks on the shed there is no harm on them running free inside,but it is up to you

If you are worried you could mesh internally as an extra layer of protection (ply board over if you want to neaten up afterwards). The important bit will be making sure the windows/doors are secure :)

I have a mesh cover on the inside of my window, so I can leave it open. It also opens out into the run, so it is covered by mesh on that side too (does that make sense?).

When I get my shed I'm putting mesh the whole way around the inside and tucking it under some slabs that are going on the floor, but I am the biggest worryer in the world.

Back