• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how long should a 3kg bag last

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
of science selective for 2 buns? each gets a small handful, bailey gets 6 pellets marsha 10, morning and night.

Just cus i don't seem to be going through this bag x

I don't know about a 3kg bag but Bella and Harvey started their 10kg bag last October and I'd say there's a good couple of months' worth left, so I'm reckoning on it lasting about eight months.

I don't know about a 3kg bag but Bella and Harvey started their 10kg bag last October and I'd say there's a good couple of months' worth left, so I'm reckoning on it lasting about eight months.

gosh, thats ages... how much so they get?

im hopeing to decrease it to 6 pellets for bailey once a day, and 8 for moo once a day... the reason moo gets more is she is outside and does not eat as much hay x

my 3kg bag last 2 months, and the bunnies have 40g a day. Work out how many grams you give them a day, and then find out how many days it would take to empty 3kg.

my 3kg bag last 2 months, and the bunnies have 40g a day. Work out how many grams you give them a day, and then find out how many days it would take to empty 3kg.

it varies to be honest as i don't have time to weigh, they just get a set amount of peices...

a 2 kilo bag lasts me 2 weeks :shock:
and im underfeeding the rabbits according to their weight from the excel bag

what am i doing wrong

a 2 kilo bag lasts me 2 weeks :shock:
and im underfeeding the rabbits according to their weight from the excel bag

what am i doing wrong

I have a minilop and a lionhead.. i should imagine your two eat 10x as much as mine due to thier size xxx

I have a minilop and a lionhead.. i should imagine your two eat 10x as much as mine due to thier size xxx

oh yea. i almost forgot they were giants then :lol::lol:

the excel bag says to give them 600g joint a day, but i only give them 2-300g.
ive changed to A&P now, and have noticed they have lovely golden poos now.

oh yea. i almost forgot they were giants then :lol::lol:

the excel bag says to give them 600g joint a day, but i only give them 2-300g.
ive changed to A&P now, and have noticed they have lovely golden poos now.

Don't you mean 60g? 600g is over half a kilo of food a day! :shock: :lol:

The measurements on the packs are always more than one should feed, they want you to get through the bag quicker ;)

Don't you mean 60g? 600g is over half a kilo of food a day! :shock: :lol:

The measurements on the packs are always more than one should feed, they want you to get through the bag quicker ;)

woops that was a bit of a typo, i meant 400g.
ill give them food, but they never go through the full amount. they probably only eat about 80g a day each actually.
is it ok to leave the uneaten food in their bowl for the next day? cuase right now im just chucking it away.
the breeder told me i should be feeding one half a kilo a day :shock: which i think is ludacrus.

Last edited:
ive just realised mine only get a handful (about 25g) shared is that enough... *feels really guilty* no wonder alvin has to fill up on wallpaper :shock:

Bella gets 20 kg a day and Tarquin gets 10 kg - they have a bit in the morning but most in the evening as that's when I can make sure that T gets his full amount - he's slower and likes to savour it more whereas Bella is scoff, scoff, scoff and then shoves him out of the way - I feed them in separate bowls.

woops that was a bit of a typo, i meant 400g.
ill give them food, but they never go through the full amount. they probably only eat about 80g a day actually.
is it ok to leave the uneaten food in their bowl for the next day? cuase right now im just chucking it away.
the breeder told me i should be feeding one half a kilo a day :shock: which i think is ludacrus.

WHAT?! That's ridiculous, even for a giant! :shock: :lol:

Are you sure you mean 400g, not 40g? You shouldn't be throwing food away :?

This is the daily feeding guide for Pets at Home rabbit pellets (which is made by Burgess and is basically the exact same as regular Excel):

Netherland Dwarf (Approx. 0.9-1.1kg): 25-30gm, Dutch (Approx. 2-2.3kg): 50-60gm, English (Approx. 2.7-3.6kg): 70-90gm

Basically according to this, a rabbit should get approx 2-3% of it's body weight in food, if your rabbit weighs 2kg (for example) and it's getting 400g, this is the equivalent of 20% of it's body weight - Ten times the correct amount! :shock:

Either you have your numbers wrong, or you are feeing way too much, I suspect the later as you say you have to throw it away which is a real shame :? just put out the amount they will eat for now, then try to decrease it to the amount stated above :D

ETA: Do they eat much hay? If they don't it's probably because they are full on pellets, sometimes it seems mean to decrease the pellets but it's better for their teeth in the long run ;)

ETA (Again!) - How much do they actually weight out of interest? We can try and work out by the above method the approx amount they should be getting :)

Last edited:
Bella gets 20 kg a day and Tarquin gets 10 kg - they have a bit in the morning but most in the evening as that's when I can make sure that T gets his full amount - he's slower and likes to savour it more whereas Bella is scoff, scoff, scoff and then shoves him out of the way - I feed them in separate bowls.

Do you mean grams rather than Kg Becca only 20kg is like 2 large sacks:shock:
Bella you big bully, you've got promise not to bully Tarquin when you come to stay:lol:

Do you mean grams rather than Kg Becca only 20kg is like 2 large sacks:shock:
Bella you big bully, you've got promise not to bully Tarquin when you come to stay:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Actually I can just see Bell sitting in the 10 kg bag and eating until it's all gone, with poor little T sat under watching and waiting and wondering where his share is :lol:

Yes - she will need watching when they come on their holiday - he's got better at it, but she still is a bit like a bull in a china shop. The poor little love has learnt to eat very quickly, but is still a lot slower than she is :roll: And there's all the buzzing and jumping around that goes with it - very entertaining :lol: He takes it all in his stride bless him :roll:

Edited: and yes, Bell gets 20 g and T gets 10 g a day :D

Back