• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Bunny Accident - Update - Back from the vet

Baxter Mummy

New Kit
:cry:Please help

Baxter Bunny was running around the hallway this afternoon while my daughter had her friend round to play. My daughters friend lent over the stairgate to stroke him and the gate collapsed onto our beautiful little 10 week old bunny with the girl on top of the gate.

Baxter was trapped under the gate while we lifted the girl and the gate off him! As soon as he was free he ran into his ‘safe’ corner and hid. He is now hopping around ok and doesn’t seem to be hurt and has eaten the treats we feed him. I called the vet and she said as long as he is hopping around and eating and drinking he should be fine but I am really worried am I being a paranoid new bunny mum? Should i be doing anything to make sure he is not in shock?

:cry:

Last edited:
Well if it's not flopping around and shaking/breathing heavily I should think it's fine.

Just keep an eye on it. They may go into shock easily, but I'm sure having a small child pounce on them won't harm them too much.

After all, think what foxes try to do.

As long as he keeps eating, drinking and toileting he will be fine but let him have some breathing space to get over the shock tonight....he may feel better left alone in his house.

Watch for any sign of pain in his movements, favouring certain limbs, limited mobility, struggling to groom etc.

Keep a very close eye on him though because being prey animals they are excellent at hiding injuries - i had a bun who had broken her leg and no one noticed. :shock: hope he's ok.

Keep a very close eye on him though because being prey animals they are excellent at hiding injuries - i had a bun who had broken her leg and no one noticed. :shock: hope he's ok.

hi cluttery, how could you tell that your bun had broken it's leg as you didn't know????? I have been worried about my boy who hurt his bag leg a week ago and couldn't put much weight on it and it looked slightly swollen compared to the other. It has taken a week but he seems to be bobbing around on it better now, but I must say I wasn't sure whether he had broken it.

If you think your bun has a broken leg take it to the vets for an examination and an x-ray, not to mention pain relief. Rabbits can deteriorate very quickly once in pain.

The vets can usually feel a clean break but an x-ray will be required to see if surgery is necessary.

Thanks for all your help

Now i am really worrid about him again! Last night he was fine, he ran around and jumped all over us a normal but his morning when my daughter and I went to feed him breakfast he just sat in the back corner of his cage rather than coming to see us like normal and he couldn't even be tempted with his fav treats!

I picked him up and he didn't seem to be in pain and when i put him back in the bottom section of hutch (he has a double hutch with play area at the bottom) he did a wee on the floor as soon as i put him down then ran upstairs and sat in the same place again and would not move at all.

He is eating (I think) as the spot he had chosed to sit is right next to his bowl

Am so worried, should I be? or is he just cross/scared after yesterdays accident and his visit to the vet for his jab before that.

I think it sounds like he needs a check at the vets. Even if he wasn't hurt, the shock of what happened might have made him stop eating.

He is booked in to the vet at 9am tomorrow do you think i need to take him sooner?

sooner! He really needs seeing today.

ETA. Rabbits decline very quickly...literally over a matter of hours sometimes. If you ever suspect something isn't right and especially if a rabbit isn't eating you need to see the vet immediately :)

He is booked in to the vet at 9am tomorrow do you think i need to take him sooner?

Not if he is eating, drinking, pooping and peeing but if he won't eat then yes get him in asap because they go downhill fast once they won't eat.

Try not to fuss him too much, go back to basics to regain his trust, hand feed him and sit on the floor with him, let him come to you etc.

:cry:He seems to be eating from his bowl (which he is almost sitting on!) and if i actually give him the food but doesn't seem interested in getting up to get it :cry:

But i did see if run up the ladder this morning so he can move he just doesn't seem to want to

:cry:He seems to be eating from his bowl (which he is almost sitting on!) and if i actually give him the food but doesn't seem interested in getting up to get it :cry:

But i did see if run up the ladder this morning so he can move he just doesn't seem to want to

Personally I would still take him to the vet because of the nature of the accident initially. It won't harm to have a check up and if he is not eating normally it is likely he is heading into stasis due to the stress and shock. It's not something you can sit on and the earlier it is caught the better.

I would take him today, even if he is eating you have obviously picked up on something not being quite right and it could be that he is experiencing some discomfort.

It's well worth getting him a full physical examination.

I'd definitely take him in asap, even if it's for your own peace of mind. Rabbits are great at pretending that they have nothing wrong with them.

Am so worried! Thanks for your help everyone :cry:

Being a bunny mummy is just as stressful as being a human mummy! :cry:

I have tried the vets again and I have to call back after 2.30 to get an emergency appointment

Back