• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A lovely question about pus.

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
It's not really lovely - please leave now if you have a weak stomach. :)

Does rabbit pus (from an abcess) always smell absolutely vile, or is this something to be worried about?

sadly it is the most putrid smell ever.... I can recollect it well :cry: it is a smell like no other and is 'normal'

I like the smell............:oops:

If it is an ongoing abscess problem and the smell has suddenly changed/gotten stronger then I'd have a word with your Vet as a change of abx may be needed

Janex

Jane, you sooooo odd :lol: In a good way. :)

It is an ongoing problem and I've only noticed it recently but that may be because she's started wriggling when i clean it so I've been sort of holding her still wiht my chin - so my nose is nearer to it - if you know what i mean. She has been on baytril for aaaages but we're taking her off it gradually - hope this is the right thing to do.

I think she'll have to go in soon anyway as she has a bit of a runny nose - my poor baby, I jsut want her to be healthy, and she seems to get worse and worse. :(

thankyou both for your help.

Jane, you sooooo odd :lol: In a good way. :)

It is an ongoing problem and I've only noticed it recently but that may be because she's started wriggling when i clean it so I've been sort of holding her still wiht my chin - so my nose is nearer to it - if you know what i mean. She has been on baytril for aaaages but we're taking her off it gradually - hope this is the right thing to do.

I think she'll have to go in soon anyway as she has a bit of a runny nose - my poor baby, I jsut want her to be healthy, and she seems to get worse and worse. :(

thankyou both for your help.

Where's the abscess ?
I'd deffo get her back to the Vets. Has a culture been done to see what abx is the most appropriate. ? The swab needs to be from the abscess wall not just the pus, which is often sterile.

I would think its time for some heavy duty abx like Ceporex or Depocillin ( Injections) As she's now snotty too I'd get her to the Vet sooner rather than later.

Janex :)

On her jaw :( :( :(

I talked to the vet about doing a culture of the abcess wall before and they said they'll do it if they feel its necessary - and now might be that time i guess - but that they're often inconclusive. I will press for one anyway though cos I'd rather know that we'd tried.

In fairness though the abcess is much improved compared to before - I jsut flush it out every couple of days and get only a few little flecks of pus.
her biggest issue recently is her molar spurs, and also overgrown tooth roots which are right up to her eyes and down through her lower jaw :cry:

:cry:aww your poor bunny!!! rabbits pus really is stinky stuff, i had a rabbit years ago whos abscess burst out of the blue, and it was totally honking! he was in the kitchen and we could smell it from the living room!!!!
Just a suggestion, my rabbit pepper (its not fair, 2 rabbits ive had have both had abscesses :cry: ) has an abscess on her face, and she has had the abscess lanced and some sort of antibiotic beads put in the wound and sewed up. she also had an xray and one of her teeth that was a bit loose taken out. Reason Im suggesting these things is my old vet just had pepper on baytril and she wasnt getting any better, and one day pus was coming out her nose and she couldnt breathe properly, so i tried a more rabbit savvy vet and they have tried these procedures. shes also been getting penicillin injections every 72 hours. Just another suggestion for you?hope it helps

I guess I've been lucky in 20 odd years I have had rabbits I have only had 3 - 4 buns with abscesses and only one was a really stinky one, the others had no smell at all. Now rat abscessess ........ they really do smell bad:mrgreen: .... and vary in colour and constistency from thin liquid to thick cream cheese stuff :mrgreen: Sorry :oops::oops:

Back