• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diarohea..

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
...So i gave Bella my fairly new bunny Bananna the other night, all my bunnies have had it before with no problems. However when i went out to do the morning check Bella's cage was covered, she was covered, it was awful. I put her straight out in the run (and got covered myself) and cleaned her hutch, it stunk!!!!!!!!! I watched her in the run and she did the same...everywhere, eurgh!!

So i gave her a bit of bread and hay only...was this the right thing to do as it seems to of worked, although shes still abit loose.

Next question, i have wiped her clean and done her cage etc but is there anything i can buy to make her cleaner...

Also she wont be having Bananna again, but how long till she can have veggies?

Thanks in advance...

xx

Is Bella a baby Bun ?

Bread is not the best thing to give a Bun as it is high in carbohydrates which can actually cause diarrhoea.
Lots of hay, water with a probiotic added and a few Blackberry leaves are the best things to give in the first instance. But if the Bun with Diarrhoea is a Baby they need to be examined by a Vet ASAP.

Janex

Is Bella a baby Bun ?

Bread is not the best thing to give a Bun as it is high in carbohydrates which can actually cause diarrhoea.
Lots of hay, water with a probiotic added and a few Blackberry leaves are the best things to give in the first instance. But if the Bun with Diarrhoea is a Baby they need to be examined by a Vet ASAP.

Janex

Bellas age is unknown....

She was taken into PAH and labelled possibly pregnant (which i dont think she is) all they said was that she was with other bunnies, male and female.

Oright no bread again oppps, someone told me it would soak it up, thanks Jane.

Should i still feed her pellets?

It has dried up but isnt normal if you get me lol..

xx

Bellas age is unknown....

She was taken into PAH and labelled possibly pregnant (which i dont think she is) all they said was that she was with other bunnies, male and female.

Oright no bread again oppps, someone told me it would soak it up, thanks Jane.

Should i still feed her pellets?

It has dried up but isnt normal if you get me lol..

xx

As long as she's a good hay eater I'd just feed that for tonight. If her poo has firmed up by the morning just feed half the normal amount of pellets. I'd hold off Veg for a week and once nice hard poos are being passed you could introduce her to a small portion of dark leafy greens.

With Buns foods high in sugar/carbs are likely to cause a GI upset.

Janex :)

I would think she might be dehydrated after all that, so I would take her to the vets and ask for some sub-cutaneous fluids to be given - she might also need something like pedialyte, for children that have had diarrhea as she will have lost a lot of salts from her body too, plus probiotics in water, and hay only to eat. I would imagine it will take a couple of days for her tummy to get rid of all the banana though :(

Back