• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is too many vegggies bad for weight?

JayUK

Mama Doe
:wave: I'm really sharp on Keeping Bertie's weight right, he doesn't get any Bunny treats, carefully measured ETA 40g (not 400g) dried food a day, lots of exercise, hay and grass, and veggies.

The vet has said he's a bit overweight, and looking at him, he has become somewhat 'portly'. I really don't want this to happen, and wonder if any could tell me if veggies can be weight gaining or not.

He currently gets (twice a day):
A spring green leaf
Couple sprigs Parsley
Couple sprigs Mint
Couple sprigs Coriander
Few Basil leaves

Once a week he gets:
a carrott top with a nugget of carrot
A bit of broccolli stalk
A Mange tout
A beetroot leaf
A chunk of celery

ETA I sometimes read of giving a small handful of veg, could someone tell me why this is, and if too many veggies detremental to health and possibly weight?

Last edited:
I have absolutely no concept of how much 400g of dried food is, how is it comparitive to a handful? Also what brand is it....some are higher in protein than others.

I usually feed mine a 5" bowl full of veg once a day and when I have a bun on a diet they get slightly more than that but over two meals instead because I tend to cut pellets totally then.

I have absolutely no concept of how much 400g of dried food is, how is it comparitive to a handful? Also what brand is it....some are higher in protein than others.

I usually feed mine a 5" bowl full of veg once a day and when I have a bun on a diet they get slightly more than that but over two meals instead becasue i tend to cut pellets totally then.

Thanks Sooz,
400g would be apprx. 2 handfuls; he gets 200g a.m. 200g p.m. and it's SS.
The Veg is a.m. and p.m. as well, so basically, he gets the same meal twice a day. I really thought his weight was ok, but over the last 2 months, he has expanded a bit, and I wnat to nip it in the bud before it gets any worse :)

I'd cut out the pellets Jay ( sorry Bertie......:oops: )

Lots of hay and the great selection of veg and herbs he is having ( you dont want 42 housebun guests do you.....) makes pellets unnecessary. If he really misses them then just hand feed him about 6 pellets a day so he thinks he's getting treats :D

Janex

I would say that he is getting too many pellets personally, one handful should be plenty for a whole day. If he needs to shift some weight now then there would be no harm in cutting his pellets to half a handful or popping him onto a hay and veggie diet instead until his weight is correct.

He's good with his hay isn't he?

Thank-you :thumb:, and thankfully, he's fine with hay, so the pellets will come down. I'll try a handful a day and see how we go, with SS as treats if req. :D

I'm sending Shanty piano movers to collect the 42 squaters Jane, ;) or would a parcel of herbs be better?:lol:

Last edited:
no you can't be giving him 400g of food - that's 1lb of pellets (100g is 4oz or 4 tablespoons) :shock:

Forgot to say (so shocked was I :lol:) that's by no means a lot of veg he's having - tis the pellets making him fat - that's about right for veg :)

no you can't be giving him 400g of food - that's 1lb of pellets (100g is 4oz or 4 tablespoons) :shock:

I think I've got some information wrong somewhere along the line....:oops: maybe he's just filling out now because he only became fully grown a month or two ago, and his intake now needs reducing.

I'm really sorry, I've just weighed the portion he gets and it's 40g, not 400g, ...My mind is not with me today. I did weigh 400g, and even I would struggle with that.

Sorry for the minor :shock: x

My bunny Benny is inclined to be tubby as he's a bit lazy - he only gets about 20 or so pellets of SS (the new chunky size - about 2 level teaspoons of the older thin ones - barely any) morning and evening - and he's still tubby :shock: Indoor rabbits especially just don't burn off the calories. My 4 girls on the other hand are like eating machines - they are always on the go and get through a mountain of hay every day (think small pony :lol:) - I give them twice as many pellets as Benny due to that - so you have to adjust the pellets to suit the rabbit really. They all get the same amount of veg although Benny gets less carrot (just a small slice) as it's fattening and sugary. It's good to give some pellets to an indoor rabbit though, as they won't get vitamin D from being in the sunshine :)

My bunny Benny is inclined to be tubby as he's a bit lazy - he only gets about 20 or so pellets of SS (the new chunky size - about 2 level teaspoons of the older thin ones - barely any) morning and evening - and he's still tubby :shock: Indoor rabbits especially just don't burn off the calories. My 4 girls on the other hand are like eating machines - they are always on the go and get through a mountain of hay every day (think small pony :lol:) - I give them twice as many pellets as Benny due to that - so you have to adjust the pellets to suit the rabbit really. They all get the same amount of veg although Benny gets less carrot (just a small slice) as it's fattening and sugary. It's good to give some pellets to an indoor rabbit though, as they won't get vitamin D from being in the sunshine :)

Thank-you, that all makes complete sense :) We do give Berts plenty of exercise, as I'm obviously quite aware of the importance of that, we haven't adjusted his diet since he stopped growing, and now we need to, so that's been really useful. I'm gonna try a few variations and see what works best :)

Back