• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flemish Giant + Cavy

Im thinking about getting a Flemish Giant.

but my boyfriend would like to get a cavy, so he is not to happy about the size of the femlish giant. i was wondering would you be able to pair them together?

if not what breeds of rabbits would be able to be paired with a cavy? if any at all.

just to note, im not planning to breed either the cavy or the bunny, i was just wonderieng if they would be able to be together for company.

I dont think this is advisable most people would advise against keeping Bunnies and cavys together. You could get 2 cavys and have a house Bun though?

A rabbit could seriously injure a cavy.

Hope this helps :)

I know of some one who's rabbit and cavy lived together for years happily (or so they thought) The rabbit killed the cavy. It had scars all over it where the rabbit had bullied it for years.:cry:

Personally i would not keep them together. A pair of each would be better:D

It's not considered good practice to keep rabbits & cavys of any breed together for reasons such as:

1. Injury. Even if not intentional happy bunnies love to run and binky and a kick from those legs could seriously injure a small cavy.

2. Bullying. This works both ways, I have had a rabbit in rescue traumatised from being kept with a dominant cavy and I know people have seen cavy's traumatised from living with a dominant rabbit. Problems such as injury, illness, stress related fur loss, weightloss and hip damage have been reported.

3. Dietary differences. Unlike rabbits Cavys cannot synthesise their own vitamin C and need a vitamin C rich diet. Their nutrient and mineral requirements also differ...there is not a one brand fits all feed.

4. Companionship & Communication. Rabbits and cavy's express their friendship in different wats and as such do not get the required level of companionship from each other as they dont interact in the same way.

5. Bordetella. This is a respiratory infection often carried by rabbits. Whilst it rarely causes the rabbit any concern it can be extremely dangerous to cavies and could be passed on from a rabbit carrier unknowingly.

The best companion for a rabbit is another rabbit and both should be neutered.

Last edited:
whats a cavy???

The correct name for a Guinea Pig :)

Firstly a flemish Giant is huge, and it would be like having a dog and cavy together, it would be VERY dangerous and irresponsible. Also cavies need company of their OWN kind, so you should never get one. Rabbits and Guinea Pigs together is very old-fashioned and any cavy expert will tell you to keep them well away from each other because of the high risk of illness/injuries and so forth.

The correct name for a Guinea Pig :)

Firstly a flemish Giant is huge, and it would be like having a dog and cavy together, it would be VERY dangerous and irresponsible. Also cavies need company of their OWN kind, so you should never get one. Rabbits and Guinea Pigs together is very old-fashioned and any cavy expert will tell you to keep them well away from each other because of the high risk of illness/injuries and so forth.

Thanks never knew guinea pigs had a proper name! I have a flemish and I keep him with another giant rabbit, wouldnt even keep a flemish with a small rabbit nether mind a guinea!

ok thank you so much everyone!

i didn't think it would be a good idea, but my boyfriend had his heart set on a cavy... and i have mine set on a big bunny lol.

i couldn't find any other research on them together, so i just figured i should ask.

i have one more question for those who own Flemish giants.
how much does your weight? and is it a boy or girl?
and also is there a difference in temperament and smell between the two genders?

ok thank you so much everyone!

i didn't think it would be a good idea, but my boyfriend had his heart set on a cavy... and i have mine set on a big bunny lol.

i couldn't find any other research on them together, so i just figured i should ask.

i have one more question for those who own Flemish giants.
how much does your weight? and is it a boy or girl?
and also is there a difference in temperament and smell between the two genders?

I have a 14 week old FLemish giant and hes soo laid back and soft compaired to my Giant Papalion. He weights 8lb at the mo but will be around 18lb fully grown.

I saw a 3 year old flemish today at the childrens Playbarn and I was shocked by his size! WIll post pictures later

Back