• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dental question

maxxev

Mama Doe
someone mentioned a little while ago that thair rabbit had recantly had the molars trimmed/rasped without GA using a dental gag. does anyone much about this?
can this be used to remove spurs/trim the back molars? is there a limit on the size of rabbit this can be used on?
my french lop had to have GA to remove several spurs fromhis molars. he has reacted badly to the GA befor abd this sounds like somthing worth asking my vet about at his next appointment later this week.

Two points with this:

1. If your vet dosn't routinely do it don't even ask them to try... it takes a lot of experience to be able to do this properly and safely.
2. It's very hard to do thoroughly especially if work on crown height is involved. For this reason it can sometimes be necessary for the rabbit to have a thorough GA dental every so often and use conscious dentals as a 'touch up'.

It does depend to some extent on the personality of the rabbit and the work that needs doing.

It's Willow who has his dental done like this. He's had 2 dentals under GA to burr the molars right down in 18 months and then he has regualar clipping - about every month. I watched my vet perform this procedure last time and it looks quite frightening but is over in minutes. My vet is excellent and is the only one in the surgery who will do this. She has been treating Willow for 18 months - since I rescued him so he is used to her. He is quite a skittish bun in general but copes very well with dentals. If he had to have a GA every time I don't think he would cope so well. There is always a risk with clipping as it could damage the teeth roots but I prefer this rather than a GA. It is always wroth asking your vet if they would consider doing this or if it's possible for your bun.

Back