• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What times to feed?

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
My two get their pellets in the morning and their veg in the evening, is this okay? I got to wondering whether there was a particular time you should feed them their meals. Whether it was better to feed them their pellets in the morning or evening, etc.

Anyone? What times do you feed?

I fed half their pellets in the morning and the other half the late afternoon. They graze on grass and hay all day long and I only give very few pellets, give them fruit and veg in the morning as well which I hide and they have to hunt out :D

Mine gets a spring green leaf and an egg cup full of pellets on a morning and then an egg cup and half of pellets mixed with a small pinch of redigrass and a large handful of veg on a night.
I origionally thought i was over feeding him, so cut him down and he started to lose weight. So put all his protions back up and have found a routine that now suits him, his weight is perfect and he is maintaining it.

I work as an animal nutritionist and am lucky enough to attend veterinary lectures including the North American Veterinary Conference 2007 where I went to a lecture by zoo-archaeologist and small animal expert, Bob Church who suggested that we can improve the husbandry of the pet rabbit by looking at the needs of a wild rabbit.

He suggests that the amount of food you feed your rabbit each day and the feeding times should be changed to prevent a monotonous diet. Wild rabbits would not eat at set times and that instead of using bowls food should be scattered in their run or cage so they can look for it, encouraging natural foraging behaviour.:)

I work as an animal nutritionist and am lucky enough to attend veterinary lectures including the North American Veterinary Conference 2007 where I went to a lecture by zoo-archaeologist and small animal expert, Bob Church who suggested that we can improve the husbandry of the pet rabbit by looking at the needs of a wild rabbit.

He suggests that the amount of food you feed your rabbit each day and the feeding times should be changed to prevent a monotonous diet. Wild rabbits would not eat at set times and that instead of using bowls food should be scattered in their run or cage so they can look for it, encouraging natural foraging behaviour.:)

I find that really interesting because my lot become very agitated if their food is not at its 'usual' time.

I feed my lot 1/2 their pellets at 6.30am and the other 1/2 at 3pm. They also have veg at 7.30am and 8pm.

I think that's a great idea about scattering it around, but mine are constantly putting things in their water bowl >_< The bowl is full of toys and hay every morning!

I must admit that mine look for food at certain times of the day e.g. when I get home from work but I do try and space meals out giving them a bit here and there rather than at set times. Sometimes they get veg at 6pm and sometimes its about 11pm!

They always have hay available if they are hungry though.

But I have never used bowls I throw it around all over the place for them to find! :)

we always make sure hugo has pellets and hay available. we only give him "treats" at certain times in the day (morning coffee and when we have our dinner). but he has seems to have carrots an dcelery availabel most of times.

and he seems to know when and what to have. the vet says he is a normal weight and is healthy.

are we doing something wrong? (apart from spoiling him)

:wave:

I've always wondered this. I've fed them both their pellets and veg in the evening, about 2 hours apart. They're usually heading back to bed by the time I get up in the morning! :)

ive read in books etc pellets in am,veg in pm,hay throughout.For this reason ive stuck to this but i dont know whether there is a right or wrong time.

The reason I give pellets in the morning is that by the time I get up they are past their peak activity period so dont always empty the bowl straight away. As pellets keep this isn't an issue.

I feed them veg early evening when they start to perk up and the veg is gone in minutes.

Mine has a large handful of pellets in teh morning about 6:30 a.m. and another large handful at night - 4:00 a.m. -ISH. He is usually in his run or free run of garden when I am on school holidays all day - therefore eating grass / dandelions all day! When I am at work he is in his run from 6:00 - 8:00 a.m. and hutched from 8:15 - 3:30 then out again till 9:00 p.m.

Mine get their museli at night.
They also get veggies whenever i have it for them. They have a constant supply of grass though.
Also they do get hay from their fresh bedding, but i'm going to constantly put a haybasket up for them now.

Back