• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My depressed bun....help please..

flowergirls

Warren Scout
Hi
I have my 3 outdoor bonded 'flowergirls' and as some of you may remember my indoor rescued (from a hutch at the bottom of a garden lonely and unnamed) Blackberry. I have unsuccessfully tried to bond her with them but she's terrified of them- I wrote a post at the time about her screaming.
Blackberry is spayed and lives indoors in a large cage and has total access to the house when we're there- but she hardly ever goes out. For example she's had free access to the whole house since 7am today and has not ventured out once. I pop her in the garden often- but she just sits in one spot for hours- shows no interest at all in sniffing the flowergirls' run, or even hopping about.
She just seems depressed- she was alot 'feistier'- before her spay (nearly 4 months ago) - I don't mean she should not have been spayed- but now she just seems so miserable. She doesn't even show an interest in chasing the cats anymore.
I feel so sorry for her when I see the other 3 snuggled up, happy and interacting- so - should I get her a friend?!!
I didn't really want to get a 5th as the indoor cage is not big enough for two- and it's a bit of a stretch financially- all my rabbits vaccs - including the cats- are due soon- but I hate seeing her so sad. So I am thinking of getting another outdoor hutch and run combo- I suppose this is the time of year to do it.
Do you think loneliness could be making her like this or does anyone else have a bun like her?:cry:

Rachel xx

Is this a recent thing? Could she be feeling unwell? It does sound like she may be lonely, perhaps you could arrange a rescue centre bonding with a castrated male bunny? Bonding females, even when spayed, can be very difficult.

AMETHYST

how long since your failed bonding attempt? She may be lonely now - but if it was before, or just after her spay before, that would affect her behaviour during bonding.

If she was really scared, you could try introducing her to one bun at a time, so she's not overwhelmed?

Oh poor little Blackberry - that's so sad :cry:. I've not experienced anything like this before so can't really offer any useful advice. Maybe a husbun would be a good idea. Might be wise to take her to a rescue before you splash out on a new hutch/run etc just to see if she shows any interest at all in the boys.

Wish you the best of luck in cheering her up - you sound like a lovely bunny mummy to me!

Is this a recent thing? Could she be feeling unwell? It does sound like she may be lonely, perhaps you could arrange a rescue centre bonding with a castrated male bunny? Bonding females, even when spayed, can be very difficult.

AMETHYST

Thanks Amethyst but it's not really recent so I don't think she's ill, have noticed it for a good few weeks now- putting her outdoors is a recent thing though as it was so cold until a month ago and she hadn't been vacc'd then (she is now). she eats, drinks and poos with no problem. Her coat is shiny and her eyes are bright. She has toys but doesn't really bother with them.
I know about the girl bonding problem- I was lucky enough to do a successful bond with a spayed doe with 2 unspayed does. But I know I was lucky.
There are very few rescue centres here- my 2 unspayed girls were from one but they do not neuter (they did vacc) or offer a bonding service. would a very young bun be better as she was so nervous of my other 3?

Rachel x

how long since your failed bonding attempt? She may be lonely now - but if it was before, or just after her spay before, that would affect her behaviour during bonding.

If she was really scared, you could try introducing her to one bun at a time, so she's not overwhelmed?

Thanks Angie. Because I am so well informed form lurking about here ;) I didnt attempt the bond for a couple of months after the spay- so it was another couple of months ago now.
I did it one bun at a time- and on neutral territory it was fine- tense but ok-but it all went horribly wrong when I tried to put her with them- she was more terrified of them than they were aggressive with her- I think they may have accepted her- they're nice buns, they accepted each other last year- but she was so scared she literally leapt into my arms :(

Oh poor little Blackberry - that's so sad :cry:. I've not experienced anything like this before so can't really offer any useful advice. Maybe a husbun would be a good idea. Might be wise to take her to a rescue before you splash out on a new hutch/run etc just to see if she shows any interest at all in the boys.

Wish you the best of luck in cheering her up - you sound like a lovely bunny mummy to me!

Thankyou Mackers :D- I try!

Back