• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns & pigs in the same area together

karen354

Warren Veteran
I have the outdoor buns in a poppy house & enclosure, would it be okay to put the piggies hutch & run in the buns enclosure ?
Their run would be on the slabbed area & it would be double protection for them. The buns have free range garden time when I'm home & when they are in their shed/enclosure they won't lose much room even with the piggie's hutch/run . I didn't want to do anything until I knew it was safe for piggies & bunnies ..

Well they say the two shouldnt go together or piggies will be intimidated or hurt or whatever
I cant really say much as weve never had them together and dont know much about pigs
All i know is theres a big bunny enclosure down the road in our local park with piggies in and they all seem fine...although this is one massive area, and has bits just for the pigs like youd have. I think is the pigs are closed in and dont get bullied and intimdated and the buns are fine with it then obviously itd be ok

Good luck

Bump.. I have a feeling they can't live near each other even if they are seperated by a hutch, I'm sure I read the piggie carries something that's lethal to buns :? Is this true ?

Is it bordatella or pasturella? I thought it was pasturella :)

It's Bordetella Bronchiseptica.....e.g what causes Kennel Cough in dogs.

Bordetella bronchiseptica is the most common bacteria causing respiratory disease in guinea pigs. It results in abnormal respiratory sounds, sneezing, a nasal discharge, inappetance, depression, weight loss and in severe cases death.
Prevention
Guinea pigs : Use of pig B.bronchiseptica vaccine and the use of an autogenous vaccine have both been tried in guinea pigs - with success. Unfortunately vaccinated animals become carriers of the infection.
Treatment
Guinea pigs : Therapy is often unsuccessful even when started early. Broad spectrum antibiotics are otherwise indicated e.g. chloramphenicol 20mg/kg body weight intramuscularly twice a day, OR chloramphenicol 50mg/kg body weight three times daily by mouth. Unfortunately animals that survive the acute stages become carriers of the infection

Prognosis
Guarded in some species

Long term problems
Carrier state in some species

Last edited:
My pigs live in the same room as the buns. Their cages are on top of the dog crates.

If they can't get direct contact with one another then they will be fine

Is it not airborne?

I have my piggies in their own room, wouldnt have a bun share it because he is to destructive and would probably wreck all their things!

Yes it is airborne, hence why dog's with Kennel Cough have to be kept well away from others for a period of time.

Back