• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

when do you throw in the towel?

sbunny

New Kit
:roll:
Hi all,
I could really use some help here. I was hoping to bong my single girl flemish giant Olive (Just neutered) to my bonded pair Gus and Helen(male/female neutered). They have been living in seperate rooms, but before I got Olive spayed somehow the 2 girls got out and got into a huge fight. Resulting in Olive needing stitches under her neck.
So I have continiued to keep them separated.
Now that Olive is spayed I was thinking of moving her into the room with Helen and Gus, but even through their pens Helen is being really aggressive. Lunging, biting the bars, erect tail, ect. ect.
Should I give up on the idea of introducing them? I'm actually kind of scared to at this point.

If Olive has only just been neutered she will still smell "womanly" and therefore Helen will see her as a threat. It is a tough one as buns that have had a fight in the past can be harder to bond, but it is not impossible. Personally I'm not keen on adding a third bun to a mixed sex pair but people on here have made it work. I'd suggest leaving it at least a month after Olive was spayed and then finding somewhere completely neutral to introduce them and see how they go. Good Luck! :)

I can see why you are nervous! One thing to keep in mind is that being territorial is normal so defending the border isn't necessarily a reflection on the behaviour you'd see in a neutral area.

I guess I'd be tempted to set up a safe meeting somewhere neutral eg a neutral room, one in a neutral cage one lose. Then see if you get the same reactions. If they are much calmer then you'd have a better idea of whether to try bonding or not.

Thanks for the advice..
Separate neutral areas is a great idea. We are working on building an outdoor run for warm weather, maybe once it's done I can try again out there.

I have also been thinking that maybe I could talk my o/h into getting a fourth and then try bonding:rolleyes:

If it doesn't work with the three I would definitly have to get a pal for Olive. I can tell she really wants a friend, she gets so excited when my dog is around and of course my dog wants nothing to do with her!

Also worth baring in mind that animals often show aggression through bars but are fine out in a neutral area - they're just defending their 'territory'

Back