• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Being too paranoid?

jenzel5

Mama Doe
I am so worried that the foster (stray) bunny I have may have something. She isn't showing any signs but I change my clothes when I go up to her and change them again when I'm with my rabbits. Am I being too cautious(sp)? She was found in a garden so she may have been in contact with wild rabbits. I have had her about a week now so would she be showing any signs if she had myxi or VHD? What does everyone else do when a foster rabbit comes in that they have no history of? Thanks

I call her Daisy but am still unsure about the name. Another question though that I couldn't get from reading the other posts. If I get her vaccinated for VHD and Myxi and give her panacur and it has been a few weeks does this mean I can stop being so worried?

I think the myxi vaccine takes a couple of weeks to kick in, and you have to wait at least 2 weeks after myxi before you can have VHD, I'm not sure how long before the VHD is effective, I think I saw 6 days, hopefully someone more experienced can advise you. I panacur mine every 4 months now.

I would definitely keep her separate for a minimum of 4 weeks & during that time panacur her for 4 weeks to kill off the EC parasite.

Myxi vaccine takes 2 weeks to kick in, & VHD slightly less (I think)

VHD depends on if you have Lapinject or Cylap. Cylap takes 21 days for immunity to develop....Lapinject is 6 days.

I know I have asked like a thousand times but would it be ok to let this bunny atleast near my other bunnies (or outside at seperate times) after she has been panacured and had her vaccinations once immunity has taken place? Also do I use the normal panacur but buy 2 and do it for 4 weeks? I feel so guilty that Daisy doesn't get as much attention as I think she should. I want to let her outside to have a run but my bunnies go out so this wouldn't be allowed until everything is done? I get so paranoid I will pass something to my buns that I don't go up to her until my buns have had their time out (which is most of the day) then I go up to Daisy for a bit before bed. What to do? I opened her pen for a bit today so she could have a run around the room but she didn't come out.:( She likes it when I am with her.

How long ago were your other bunnies Panacured? If it was more than a month ago I would consider doing them again too before letting them near each other.

Hi. They weren't done too long ago but maybe just over a month. I have also been told that if she had myxi the signs would be there and in she had VHD she would most likely be dead by now. Is this true? Is it mostly EC that can be passed on now? Thanks. Just want to know all the facts.

The incubation period for Myxomatosis is 5-14 days and for VHD it's just 24 to 48 hours.

EC on the other hand has no definitive incubation period because it is so often carried without symptoms. Therefor I would worm your new bunny and your existing rabbits alongside each other before allowing them them near each other.

A good overall quarantine period is 14 days. We usually worm rabbits for 9 days on arrival so they are covered by the time the quarantine period ends.

Back