• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blocked ter duct

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Hey i have 3 rabbits that all have blocked tear ducts. It happen to 2 of them at the begining of this year. They got antibiotic drops and they didnt work and then they got their tear ducts flushed and still nothing. So they are on eye drops for the rest of their lives. Now my little girl Fudge has got a teary eye and i took her to my vet, got eye drops and they are not working. Then her other eye started weeping so my vet gave me stronger drops and they still arent working.

I dont want her to go through a tear duct flush when it didnt work for her 2 brothers and id have to pay so much for it not to work. Is there any herbal remedies that have worked for any one to unblock her duct?

I dont want her to be like this, i feel so sorry for her and she looks so sad now that this has happened.

Any help would be most apperciated :wave::D:wave:

Do your rabbits have any dental problems at all? Often tearducts can become obstructed by tooth root pressuring the ducts.

A skull x-ray can determine this but it dosn't really alter treatment.

Did your rabbits ducts flush easily or did they remove any debris?
Did your rabbits have Metacam & antibiotics for a few days after the procedure?
Did your vet use anything other than sterile saline to flush the ducts with?

As mentioned above - what was the outcome of flushing the others' ducts?
Ideally a dental examination and skull Xrays (with contrast medium flushed through the tear ducts if possible) can help rule in or out dental involvement if there is a blockage. Often the tear duct blockage is a symptom of another underlying problem, usually dental or occasionally accumulation of cells/debris from inflammation within the eye.
If the duct is truly blocked and will not flush then there is unlikely to be resolution of the symptoms and it is a case of managing the following tear overflow and dealing with the primary problem if identified. Eye drops will help partially if the duct is patent as they increase the volume of liquid going down the duct, as a kind of longer-term flush and prevent bacteria festering at the site of blockage.
Marie

Back