PDA

View Full Version : Keeping bun's bottom clean...

AngelAnn
26-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Can anyone advise me as to how I can try to keep my rabbits bottoms clean I have 3 lionhead rabbits and 1 dutch. I do clip around their bottom as this helps alittle but they still get very messy and I can't get the pooh off! I asked the vet and she recommended smearing vaseline around this area but I find that this only attracts more mess and particles from their litter tray, so I was just wondering if anyone has any tips? I'd be really greatful

Brennan
26-05-2008, 05:50 PM
:wave:

I never have to clean my boys bottom, I would think the food they are eating is too 'rich' creating soft poo's and excess cecotrops

Do your rabbits eat hay?

Fraid is down to not enough hay and usually too many pellets - 80% of their diet should ideally be hay and pellets given so sparingly more like little treats

I switched to this type of feeding after suffering with excess cecotrops

This is my bunnies diet:

Handful of pellets (like 12 the most) hay, hay, hay, hay few pellets some fresh veg, hay, few pellets

I found switching from Excel helped - Science selective is arguably the best one for clean bottoms - I have to agree as well

Good luck :wave:

janice
26-05-2008, 06:20 PM
The majority of rabbits I have met with dirty bottoms are ones who are fed on a low fibre diet and also those who get lots of dried food. 80 - 90 % of their diet should be hay.

What food do you feed and how much do they get each a day?

If you feed Excel or a rabbit mix consider changing it over to a higher fibre food like Science Selective, Bunny Basics T or even Allan and Page which have a far higher fibre content. This needs to be done over at least a week.

If you feed more than a small handful to each bun a day of dried food cut in back to about an egg cup a day each.

Ensure that they always have lots of fresh hay about for them to eat as this should be the main part of their diet.

If this doesnt work then consider getting a dental check done to see if they have any spurs.

Mackers
26-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Ditto to all of the above. The only buns I've ever had dirty bum problems with were some of my first bunnies who were very fat as a result of eating too many pellets and not enough hay etc. They couldn't 'make ends meet' and struggled to eat their caecotrophs (can't spell it!!). As a result, they sat in them and had poo stuck to their bums - a real fly strike risk. My buns probably get no more than about 15 pellets each a day (divided over two feeds, morning and evening). They then get ad-lib hay, redigrass and forage plus fresh veg twice a day.

What do you feed yours on and do you think they might be slightly overweight? I'm not sure that keeping them clipped in the nether-regions will help much as the poo will just stick to their skin instead. As soon as the poo dries, it's a b*gger to get off and you really have to soak it. Their skin is so thin that it's really easy to hurt them unintentionally.

Best advice would be to check their weight and get them on a high fibre hay and veggie diet as soon as possible, whilst reducing the number of pellets you feed. Might also be worth swaping to a high fibre pellet such as Science Selective (although you need to do this slowly over a week or two).

elve
26-05-2008, 10:08 PM
again I think it's probably caused by their diet being too rich in protein/too low in fibre, or too much veg or if they are overweight they can't reach around to their bums. Your vets advice is a bit poor - a lot of vets don't know much about rabbits as they're classed as exotics - your vet needs to have done extra training after college and don't be shy to ask if they've done courses on rabbit medicine since qualifying - you are the paying customer!

meanwhile if you need to clean them up, dry cornflour that you use for cooking is brilliant for getting dirt off fur - just rub it in with your fingernails and tease off the lumps - if there are matts on the long haired bunnies then cut the top off the matt rather than going in at the bit near the skin, and work carefully down with cornflour, clipping as you go, but be very careful as rabbits have thin skin - you will probably need someone to hold them wrapped in a towel - be sure they can't kick out as they can hurt their backs too.