• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions please! What would you do??

peediepixie

Mama Doe
I have been making enquiries all day today and I have 2 options for a new buddy for Elsa.
There is one un-neutered male (who I would have neutered asap), around 12 weeks old. As he is 12 weeks old and kind of borderline for being hormonal, would it be ok to put him in with Elsa (she is spayed) straight away, or would it be better to get him neutered first, then introduce them?

Or else there are some babies of 7 weeks old, I could get one next week when they are 8 weeks old, bond it and Elsa (it will be a boy I want, but can they realistically tell the sex for sure at this age?) and then have him neutered in a month or so?

Which option would you choose? I am going to see them tomorrow so would like your opinions please:?:)

ETA- Elsa is completely lost without Eddie:(, as am I, so i would like to get her a friend as quickly as is possible.

I would go for the older one that way you can neuter much sooner. With an eight week old you're going to have to wait 4-8 weeks for neutering. You'll probably then want to add a week or so to that for healing.

Either way you'll need to keep them separate, having a lady about usually triggers hormones even if they aren't around already :)

Thanks Tamsin:D Just to get it clear in my head... I wouldn't be able to put an 8 week old in with her straight away either?:)

I'm glad you've found some buns Peedie :D
I agree with Tamsin, especially as you're so worried about Elsa, the sooner the better.
Could you put them near-ish to each other until you get him neutered?

Thank you:D Yes, I've set up a run in the shed where they could be next to each othe but seperated by a wire divider so they could still see each other:)

If you got the 12 week old, gave him a few days to settle then neutered they could be in together in 2 weeks. The 8 week old may/may not be okay in with her for a couple of weeks but you'd probably then need to separate, neutered, rebond...

12 week old sounds like the better option then:) I'm going to see thm first thing tomorrow morning so I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the advice:D

Back