• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I being overprotective Bun Mum? U/D - a bit!!!

Mumtobuns

Warren Scout
Please, please, please can someone help me? :( I have a dwarf lop called Juniper who has recently (i.e. in the last week) been treated for pasturella infection in her ear. It was only in her outer ear and she was given drops twice a day for a week. The last dose was last Monday. Over the last couple of days (since Saturday) she has been sneezing an awful lot and wiping her nose with her paws. Her eyes aren't weepy and I haven't seen evidence of any discharge from her nose, although it does seem damp. She seems to be getting tired more easily than usual and I have heard her breathing on a couple of occasions - it sounds a bit like she's snoring. We had lots of binkies earlier today but then she had to lie down for a rest which isn't like her. She is eating and drinking normally as far as I can tell - she was still her usual greedy self with the pellets first thing and has eaten some dandelion leaves this afternoon. I know she has done a small wee today and some poos - although these seem larger than normal and a bit squishier (not as squishy as the ceacals though). Should I take her to the animal hospital today or wait to take her to my own vet tomorrow evening?? I know how quickly rabbits can deteriorate and I know how serious it could be if she has a respiratory pasturella infection but I don't know if I'm just being over protective????? :cry: She gets very stressed in the car and the hospital is a lot further away than the local vet. If there is anything wrong, I don't want her to get any worse because of the travel stress. Any advice gratefully received, I'm really worried about her.

Last edited:
It definately sounds as though she has a respiratory infection and given that she has been treated for a Pasteurella infection in her ear (was that cultured?) that seems the likely suspect.

Was she only being treated with ear drops?

The recommended primary treatment for a upper respiratory tract infection is a minimum 6 week course of Baytril (oral antibiotics).

Thanks for the response Sooz. Yes it was cultured so they're sure it was pasturella. She had an antibiotic injection and then the ear drops. She wasn't given anything by mouth. When we took her back on Friday, all the pus was gone. What do you think? Trip to the animal hospital? I'm worried that if I leave it overnight it may be a lot worse tomorrow. :cry: :cry:

In my experience waiting over night has not caused problems when they are just sneezing, passing clear discharge and not exhibiting any distress.

I have had a few rescue's arrive in the evening with pasteurella symptoms who had to wait until morning to see the vet. One we didn't wait with was a bun with Pneumonia which is very serious.

Is she still eating and toileting? I assume from your description she dosn't have thick nasal discharge either?

Nothing that I've seen yet and her eyes are clear. The fur on her front paws isn't matted either. She is eating ok - greedy for pellets this am and had some dandelion since. Had a little wee and some poos - not as much as normal I don't think but they're still happening. She's eating some hay too. I've spent half the day standing by the run to keep an eye on her! :(

I honestly think that she would be OK to wait until tomorrow provided she dosn't appear to go downhill.

Do get her booked in as soon as possible though, and make sure you get a long course of Baytril....Pasteurella can be very hard to knock on the head, my Lexie is on her fourth course now :(

Thanks again Sooz. I'll take her in tomorrow evening after work. I'm sure she thinks I'm mad anyway - I keep lying in front of her trying to get a view up her nose!!!!! :lol: Just as I think I might get one - off she pops! Thanks again v. much.

:) Hi Do Not Think Your Being Overprotective At All, I Think The Same As Sooz, As Long As She Seems Her Normal Self, Id Wait To See Your Vet In The Morning.hope She Gets Sorted Tommorow.

Thanks billysmom. I'll take her tomorrow and let you know how we get on! What would I do without RU?!?! :D

Hmmmm....I have pics but something of a technophobe and didn't understand the instructions of how to post pics!!! :oops: Will go and have another read now and see what I can do!

Thanks again Sooz. I'll take her in tomorrow evening after work. I'm sure she thinks I'm mad anyway - I keep lying in front of her trying to get a view up her nose!!!!! :lol: Just as I think I might get one - off she pops! Thanks again v. much.

No problem, Im sure she will be fine :)

The lady in question....

Pic of Juniper! I have overcome my technofear and will soon be more pics on the Photos section of RU. Hope you like it Billysmom!!

DSC01911.jpg

U/D a bit overprotective!!

Hi,
Turns out i was being a little overprotective - her lungs sound fine and although she has a snotty nose, the vet can't find anything. They've given her another antibiotic injection and some pro-biotics and hopefully, this should be the end of it! Thanks again for all your advice and support!

Glad everything is ok. It's best to ask, don't think you're being over protective, you are just concerned for your bun's welfare. At least going to the vet has reassured you too

By the way ......Juniper looks a sweetie!!!

Back