• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My flemish giant has something wrong with his eye, any advice please?

bunniesbarnbabe

Warren Scout
Bailey my flemish giant, is a year old now. He is a Rew. Today because the weather was so bad, I bought him into the house for a run about as the roof on his run has started to leak. Anyway on picking him up I noticed one of his eyes appears cloudy, he was fine yesterday. There is no discharge from his eye and his cornea seems bigger as well, it definately sticks out more than his other eye which is absolutely fine. I am going to ring the vets tomorrow and get him an appointment but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what could be causing this.
He is eating & drinking fine and passing poo as normal. thanks

Is the cloudy area over the lens of the eye ?

Could he have sustained an injury, maybe getting poked in the eye with some harsh hay/straw ? Although if the cloudiness was definately not there yesterday an injury seems unlikely as had it happened within the last 24 hours you'd expect some conjunctivitis too I would have thought :?

It could possibly be a Cataract as a result of EC.

Is the eye actually bulging? Is that what you mean when you say that the cornea 'seems bigger and sticks out' ? That might indicate some sort of occular abscess

I hope the Vets can help

Janex

yes the cornea is bulging, i am going to ring vets frst thing in morning.
if it is a cataract as a result of EC, is it worth starting him on panacur now or wait till I have seen the vet tomorrow.

Update On Bailey

Bailey my flemish giant, is a year old now. He is a Rew. Today because the weather was so bad, I bought him into the house for a run about as the roof on his run has started to leak. Anyway on picking him up I noticed one of his eyes appears cloudy, he was fine yesterday. There is no discharge from his eye and his cornea seems bigger as well, it definately sticks out more than his other eye which is absolutely fine. I am going to ring the vets tomorrow and get him an appointment but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what could be causing this.
He is eating & drinking fine and passing poo as normal. thanks

went to vets yesterday, bailey had his myxi vaccination and his checked. the vet seems to think he has glaucoma, he has given me some eye drops just in case it is just a bit of dirt in there but when he shone the torch in baileys eye, he could not see anything. just have to keep a eye on him, if it is glaucoma there is not alot that can be done

Back