• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who has bunnies with dental problems?

Radish

Mama Doe
I'm doing a bit of research and would really appreciate it if people could post how many buns they have with dental problems and whether they are upright eared bunnies or lop eared bunnies.....

for example say i have two lops with dental problems or one dutch/up eared cross breed bun with dental problems.

i don't need specific details as to the dental issue just number of bunnies with dental issues and what type of bunny.

many thanks.

1 lionhead x up eared agouti bad front teeth born with it she is now 4yrs old and never had a problem with her back teeth due to having a good diet

Last edited:
2 rabbits with dental problems both mini lop's and have had spurs, one bunny inherited it, the other developed with age

lisa

I can't give you numbers on all the rescues without taking ages going through records
but we have seen a mixture..a lot of lops who are both born with probs or develop
and in the last year a lot of dutches..we do know we have several very bad quality back yard breeders of dutches in Leics which could be why:cry:

Some English xs have also had them and quite a few nethies ..so no hard and fast rules..
Many are due to bad diet and can be corrected with treatment and proper feeding.

1 Uppy Eared Magpie with age related ( osteoporosis in jaw ) Dental problems

1 REW Lop with congenital molar malocclusion

1 Lionhead-X with molar malocclusion

1 Rex who has required 1 Dental for a molar spur but has had no further problems ..........well not with his teeth anyway :rolleyes:

In my experience Lops, Nethies and Lionheads appear to be more prone to Dental problems of genetic origin

Janex :)

:wave: I've got an up eared lionhead whose had dental (and many other) problems since i got him so i presume its an inherited problem but as i don't know much about his past i couldn't say for sure.

Of 7 rabbits I have 4 dental bunnies:

1 Up-eared medium sized REW with congenital incisor maloclussion
1 Tri-Coloured Dutch with overgrown & spleyed lower incisors inc. poor grade enamel and molar spurs.
1 Dwarf Lop with molar spurs
1 Mini-Lop with molar spurs

I have 3 nethie x's ( uppy ears)which have had varying degrees of dental probs.

2 who had incisor maloclusion ( had them out and no probs since)
1 with deformed molars. Vet did believe this to be some form of inherited problem. He has had 2 removed and although this was recent, no probs so far.... ( touch wood)

1 Dwarf lop eared (could be a cross) back molars had first dental at 3 guessing from not eating hay!

x2 dwarf x mini lop eared incissor problem for 1 when 6 weeks old needed removed when old enough the other needed a dental at 1 he died shortly after (Crystals babies)

One uppy eared with dental problems (molar spurs and overgrown roots)
My other bun (also uppy eared) is fine, touch wood and until recently i had another uppy eared bun whose teeth were okay aswell.

what are you up to?

Last edited:
1 lionhead lop x with beginnings of dental issues - he is about 3 and had his first dental last week

Back