• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cecotrophs

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
A normal CECOTROPE resembles a dark brown mulberry, or tightly bunched grapes. It is composed of small, soft, shiny pellets, each coated with a layer of rubbery mucus, and pressed into an elongate mass. The cecotrope has a rather pungent odor, as it contains a large mass of beneficial cecal bacteria. When the bunny ingests the cecotrope, the mucus coat protects the bacteria as they pass through the stomach, then re-establish in the cecum.

Please could someone post a photo of one as I need to mix one in with my babies feed. I feel sure I know what they look like but don't want to take any risks with the babies.

Thanks
Rabswood

I only very rarely find one (Benny leaves one on the patio if I let him out at 11am or 11pm) - they are unmistakeable as they really do look like a miniature bunch of grapes :)

I only very rarely find one (Benny leaves one on the patio if I let him out at 11am or 11pm) - they are unmistakeable as they really do look like a miniature bunch of grapes :)

As Elve says, I cant find a pic on the net and mine alway eat them direct from the anus so no chance of a picture here.

Def. look for the grape ones though, every now and then mine do a 'sausage' instead which is an unformed ceacal and they dont eat those so I dont imagine they would be any good for the babies.

I love google images, I always find everything I need and more

here you go.....some mighty fine examples of cecotrophs:D

cecotropes.JPG

cecals.jpg

I hope these help:)

Ewwwww they do look very aromatic !:lol: My daughter thought I'd lost the plot when i said to her 'can you go and check Flynn's tray for some grapey poo'!:lol:

I did Google images but couldn't find a pic.

I thought that was what they loked like and I have seen then.

Right I will see if I can steal one to mix in with my babies feed (poor little things) apparently they won't be keen to take it and it will have to be given like medicine :(

Rabswood

Back