• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diarrhea but eating...?

Sandra

Warren Scout
We just found a spot that looked like pee but turned out to be diarrhea... Bunny is still eating with good apetite though - what should we do? Start her on bio lapis? :shock:

Thanks!

Sandra and Vardi

The Biolapis wont do any harm for sure. What is the rabbit eating? Has she had anything new recently?

I'd make sure she has lots of hay and water with Bio Lapis overnight. No veg or pellets ( as long as she is a good hay eater)
Hopefully hay and water only for 24 hours will settle her tum

Janex :)

We gave her some grass today:cry: First time ever... we only gave her a few straws though... :shock: That was probably the cause right? (Oh I feel so guilty...)

Otherwise she eats pellets and hay.

Probably, it's very rich over here at the moment and has been causing a few problems. I would do as Jane suggested and avoid the grass for a while :)

Hope she's better soon.

ETA- Dont feel bad about it, some buns are just so sensitive to change :(

Thanks!

She is a good hay eater, and she drinks a lot so will put bio lapis in the water... She is a one year old rex girl:)

Here are some pictures of her - we call her Mús (means mouse in Icelandic). She is a rescue but since no one is expressing any interest in her I guess she will be a regular with us:) We own her sister as well.

musintunnel.jpg

mussitting.jpg

musinbag.jpg

Awww she is stunning :love: :love: She would be snapped up over here! What colour is that classed as, is it Opal?

She is adorable:love: Got her from a home where she had been kept in a tiny tiny plastic cage. In the beginning when she came to us she had no balance to sit or stand up as she had been hutched over for so long:evil: And the previous owner had two big dogs that used to try and bite her ears through the cage... She had never enjoyed a rub:( Now she is the cuddliest bun ever.

She is supposed to be opal but she has some red fur here and there so I doubt she would be called a proper opal:) It is close to impossible to find homes for rex bunnies here, people think they are too big... And I think the gene pool that has been bred from is too small as they seem to have a lot of health issues unfortunately. And bad temper I have heard (although ours are amazing)... A girl who owns a pet store used to sell them but said that the last ones were crazy so she had them PTS:( And one of the main breeders of the breed is trying to sell her rex bunnies now as she is going over to mini lops and lionheads...

Here is a picture of her sister Mýsla (on of our buns)
IMG_0366.jpg

Wow she is a BIG Rex! I was surprised how 'small' my Rex, Callisto is, I was expecting standard's to be much bigger.

I also had a rabbit come in who had suffered severe muscle damage from being confined to a tiny hutch for months on end. We had to do physio on her back legs and she needed painrelief constantly for a few weeks.

She even had to learn to hop again as she could only crawl :cry::cry::cry:

Oh dear - that is awful:(

Good news - bunny with diarrhea just made some small poos and then normal poos:D She is munching hay and bio lapis.

:wave:

Back