• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Using crate in bonding

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Should you do this after the 2 rabbits have seen each other, or just put them in the crate straight away? Should you use a crate at all?:)

Do you mean a travel case-thingie?
We took Smoky & Lizzie out in a carry-case in the car, after spending the morning in the bathroom together and getting on ok-ish. They were both so freaked by the car, they snuggled up together! :lol::(

Should you do this after the 2 rabbits have seen each other, or just put them in the crate straight away? Should you use a crate at all?:)

You can use anything you want to bond them in providing it is big enough and it is totally neutral.

I use a small indoor cage for bonding where possible, as it's top opening I find it easier to dive in and seperate if necessary than when using a crate.

If you are planning to bond them, can you not use the pen in the shed as your neutral territory, once they have both been in it, you will have lost your neutral area. It would be wasier to bond them in the pen rather than in a crate

Oh, I never thought about it that way Janice. I was just going to lift the divider once he had been neutered but I wasn't thinking that their sides of the pen would become 'their' territory as well:roll: Back to the drawing board:?

Oh, I never thought about it that way Janice. I was just going to lift the divider once he had been neutered but I wasn't thinking that their sides of the pen would become 'their' territory as well:roll: Back to the drawing board:?

This is why so many people have problems with bonding.

If you have nowhere else you can keep them together, keep them apart and keep this space totally neutral and save it for the real bonding experience.

Back