• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is not just dinner........

Maizy

Mama Doe
Not long been back from a 'freeby food gathering' walk and I can't believe how much variety I've managed to get tonight. M & S version. Sad I should get excited by it, so I'm sorry if you've already nodded off with boredom, but just had to share!:lol:
So on todays gathering we now have the following on the bunny and tortoise menu..

Birch
Hazel ( green and purple)
Nettle
Fennel
Vetch
Trefoil ( 3 varieties)
Dandelion
Nipplewort
White clover
Cleavers
Bramble
Yarrow
Plantain ( broad leaved and rats tail)
Mallow
And back at home Raspberry, alpine strawberry leaves and fresh timothy.

Apart from the raspberry, strawberry and Timothy seed that I had to pay for it was all free and 5 minutes from my house. Bargain!:D

I love it ! There is nothing better than a good forage :) There is a back lane behnd me and each afternoon the dogs and I go foraging :)

I love it ! There is nothing better than a good forage :) There is a back lane behnd me and each afternoon the dogs and I go foraging :)

It's great isn't it? Think the neighbours must think I'm nuts, but I didn't care today, I couldn't believe my luck!:lol: Like a food lottery and there's bags more! I went a different route as I had pretty much exhausted my usual run so I'll be back there in a couple of days for some more! I feel all possessive over it now, don't want anyone else to find it!:lol::lol:

:lol: I can just imagine you, your eyes going wide then sprinting towards a bush ooohing with delight :lol:

Its all free and you get a great walk too :) You got a feast today though I dont get such a mix :lol: We are lucky as where we are there are loads of back lanes to peoples garages and the backs of the houses, perfect foraging country :lol: Im so glad Im not the only one who does it :oops: :lol:

Wow, thats great1 I wouldn't even know what I was looking for with all that! :oops:

Most of them probably grow in my back garden too, it's like a wild garden :lol:

awesome! I go to the woods/my mum's garden and get groundsel, plantain, blackberry leaves and dandelions...has reduced my veg bill. ;) you have a lovely wide variety :)

Just got really lucky i think tonight as it's usually plantain and dandelions, with a bit of yarrow and some birch. I just hope the local authority doesn't come and cut back the hedges any time soon, or it will be gone!:shock:

Oooh forgot to add Sow thistle. just been sorting it and found a load in the bag!:lol: Think I'll go back tomorrow and get some before the hedges get cut so I can dry it out for winter. Getting paranoid now, how bad am I!:lol::lol:

Oooh forgot to add Sow thistle. just been sorting it and found a load in the bag!:lol: Think I'll go back tomorrow and get some before the hedges get cut so I can dry it out for winter. Getting paranoid now, how bad am I!:lol::lol:

Not bad at all just using natures gifts :)

Wow that's amazing - wish I knew what half of those plants looked like :oops:

I'm doing a horticulture degree and love plants, so I have learn't to identify them, but I can recommend a good book which I picked up a couple of years ago, which is Green Foods for rabbits and Cavies by F R Bell. I got mine from the RWA so it was all in a good cause too. It has pictures with named common plants so it's a good place to start.:D

Sounds good :)
Will try and have a look - my garden is so overgrown I'm sure there must be some bunny goodies hiding somewhere :roll:

You certainly it the jackpot, Jacquie.....well done! :D :D I can only forage for plants when I go out by myself, otherwise my husband keeps telling me I am going to get arrested and he gets me so wound up that I don't dare pick anything!!! :roll: :lol:

Maizy, can ask how you dry stuff out (I am a bit dim), do you just lob it in an airing cupboard?

Our bunnies adore the dried plantain from Burns but won't touch the real thing that I have nurtured in the garden :? If I could dry it out it would save me a fortune!

Vanessa xx

You certainly it the jackpot, Jacquie.....well done! :D :D I can only forage for plants when I go out by myself, otherwise my husband keeps telling me I am going to get arrested and he gets me so wound up that I don't dare pick anything!!! :roll: :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Yep my foraging walks are just me or sometimes with my daughter, but I think she gets too embarrassed as well. :lol: I don't see peoples expressions as I'm busy with my head in the grass :lol: but she's looking at them so cringes a bit! I have had a couple of comments but only from like minded people who think it's a good idea and some woman did say it looked like someone was going to be fed well that night!:lol: :oops:

Maizy, can ask how you dry stuff out (I am a bit dim), do you just lob it in an airing cupboard?

Our bunnies adore the dried plantain from Burns but won't touch the real thing that I have nurtured in the garden :? If I could dry it out it would save me a fortune!

Vanessa xx

I tried a couple of methods last year and failed miserably with trying to dry the stuff out by hanging it upside down in the greenhouse.:roll: But did get a really good success rate by laying it out in layers on cooling racks in the airing cupboard, so am doing the same again while there is loads of stuff about.:D This is what I did/am doing:

Couple of wire cake cooling racks, lay the leaves out, then cover them with sheets of paper ( greaseproof is fine ) then put another layer, cover, and so on. I then leave it for 3 weeks, checking it periodically and turning them to make sure there is nothing growing a fur coat:shock: or looking off at all!
Both the buns and tortoises loved it and I managed to dry enough last year to keep the buns in garnish and a broad range of leaves until Feb. I'm going to try to do a bit more this year, so I can get through the winter completely if poss. Hope that helps :D

Free greens are great..
we had a lot of huge dandelions in our garden..then my mother visited and did some weeding:shock: she wondered why I was put out that they had gone!:lol:

Back