• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 3 boys..

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
What are the chances of this actually working? bearing mind 2 are already bonded im just waiting until eclipse is 'done' Just trying to decide wether its worth the risk. I'm not allowed anymore bunnies so I dont think getting eclipse a wifey bun is really an option. Any tips ..or even better does anyone want to do it for me? :lol:

Sorry Jazzy - I don't have a clue :oops:
I would think it would be pretty tricky - hopefully someone else will be able to help. You might find it breaks up the bond of the other 2, then you end up with 3 singles?:shock:

At the moment he lives in a 4ft hutch with attached run... do you think after hes been neuterd I should just leave him single and get him a bigger hutch?

Just wondering cos if you are able to spend a lot of time with your single bun then he'll be less lonely - and I guess this could be easier if he's a house bun.:?:

Theres no way he would be alowed to be a house bun. my mum is scared of the rabbits. I let him out everyday.. he doesnt like attention either.

I have 3 bonded boys, 2 neutered 1 not (but he's got 'nothing' to neuter!!!:shock:).

The neutered 2 were bonded first from a young age then Oscar joined the group, I never really 'bonded' them I just kept the next to one another and then they started sharing the run and then one day oscar went in the boys hutch and that's where he stayed, all 3 are very loved up now :D

xx

Got no experience with boy buns- always end up with girls!- but I successfully bonded a big dominant young spayed doe with 2 small unspayed does (one a bit older, one alot older, who had just been together 8 weeks themselves) from a rescue- I think I was very very lucky that the personality mix worked well.
In fact the 2 unspayed girlies now get on better too- but I am going to get one of them done this year- she is still relatively young at 2 and has a very very close bond with the 'big girl' Daisy- I would hate her to get uterine cancer soon and wreck the bond. The other girl is quite old (4 or 5 and has had kits the vet thought) and I have made the decision to give her a good life and see what happens. She is happy with her 2 younger friends.:)
9 months on they have never had a fight apart from the initial hierarchy sorting nips and chases.
When I first tried to bond the trio the bonded pair did scrap a bit but it soon settled down.
It was all relatively easy using the neutral territory (bath) method.
Trying to bond a fourth was a completely different story however!:rolleyes:

Good luck.

I would just say don't try this unless you are prepared to possibly end up with three single rabbits....it's always a possibility in any bond but 3 males will be particularly tricky (though there are always exceptions to the rule).

Ok, looks like eclipse will have to be a single bun. Not allowed anymore rabbits :(

Will be getting him neauterd next week and get him a bigger hutch soon with lots of toys and spend as much time as possible with him :)

Will I ever be able to let Jazz and gizmo run around the garden again or will getting too close to eclipses hutch cause them to fight?

Anyone?

Also if I do decide to attempt a bond what is the best way to do it? and is there anyway of telling that it wont work before I try it? :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55913&highlight=bonding best method for bonding.

I will just emphasis the good advise that others have already given you.

Bonding another male into your already bonded two males is unlikely to work, there is a chance that as a result of introducing the other male to the 2 boys you may end up with 3 single boys. There is also a risk of expensive nasty injuries occuring.

I would also advise keeping the bonded boys away from the single boy as referred agression can result in the bonded pair fighting and you ending up with 3 single boys.

There is only one way of finding out what will happen, however I would seriously look at what you have now and compare it to the worst possible scenario, if you dont want to risk the worst happening ..... dont let them near each other. As males become sexually mature their horomones can cause nasty injuries.

So you dont think I should let Jazz and Gizmo into the garden again because the other rabbit has been there?

Also any tips on keeping a single bun happy? Planning on getting him a 6 ft hutch he can have to himself.

I have three buns too. But I have two bonded boys and a female. I decided that it would be best to be solo for now. I do let the boys come smell her though just having some hope that it might work. But like everyone else says if you try you might end up with three solo buns. Dunno.

Oh with my solo bun I spend alot of time with her.. I got her a stuffed bunny to keep her company. I have her run their territory but I supervise it. Just in case they try to pick on her when shes in her cage.

I had three bonded boys (single bun paired up, then a third added) who were easier to bond than my male/female pairing :lol: They were living together literally within a few hours of meeting, snuggled up within a day I think!
I think the potential for single buns and injuries would apply to bonding any combination in a trio, or even a pair. However, it varies from bun to bun, and even if 99.9% of male trio bondings worked out (not saying they do, just as an example) it's not going to guarantee that yours will (or won't)
I think you need to weigh up the pros and cons for the buns - e.g. if it's just that a trio would make things easier, or is it really not viable to just get a female bun for company for the lone boy? The potential for injuries when it's more a convenience thing probably wouldn't be worth it in my opinion, but if it's the only chance he'll have at company then I'd probably be more inclined to try it.
I would, however, take precautions and time it well - e.g. don't do it just after vet closing hours or on a day they're not open if you're not prepared to pay emergency vet fees, try to ensure you've got transport to a vet (access to a car and someone who drives if you don't), do it on a day you know you can spend all day supervising and can stay up late overnight to keep an eye on them etc

Last edited:
I cant get another bun to go with him. I'm just so stuck on what to do if I should risk it or keep him single. It's a hard choice.

Back