• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UD response -P@H makes me want to give up

Kay

Mama Doe
Normally I try really hard to see the positive in Pets at home. However today I went into a larger store in the next town for fish food. Of course I couldn't help look at the rabbits.

I was shocked that they have a special offer of buy 2 rabbits for £45! Now ok its good that they are showing people that they should have company but what bothers me is that the buns they are selling are very young and difficult to sex.

Plus I saw a woman buy that dreadful 3ftx1ftx1ft hutch they insist on selling and two baby bunnies :cry: I did pipe up and explain that they were already too big for the hutch but the member of staff and the woman just stared at me like I'd escaped from a mental instiution. They then reward this woman by giving her a rabbit starter pack and weren't bothered that she clearly wasn't set up already.

You just know those rabbits are going to have miserable lives and I want to cry about it.

Last edited:
I know how you feel :( Whenever i go in to look at the bunnies it breaks my heart that they are probably going to end up alone in a 3ft hutch at the end of someones garden :(

yeah it really is time the RSPCA banned the manufacture and sale of tiny rabbit hutches - it's a recipie for cruelty and suffering :?

she may realise! I started off with a pets at home starter hutch and starter pack it was only a couple of months before I replaced it with a larger one!!! It's good that they are encouraging them to go in pairs, when I got my first rabbit I wanted 2 but they told me I should only get 1 or they will fight :shock:

when I got my first rabbit I wanted 2 but they told me I should only get 1 or they will fight :shock:

When I went there for my first rabbit, I ended up getting 2 and was told that they be fine un-neutered as they were brothers, and I believed them at the time. One (a lion head) lives with a friend of mine and I have kept the other (a nethie dwarf) and both are neutered, great advice!

I had 2 neutered brothers that lived together at one time and they were fine :D I guess it just depends on the rabbits :?

I had 2 neutered brothers that lived together at one time and they were fine :D I guess it just depends on the rabbits :?

These 2 weren't brothers, one lion head, one n.dwarf. and they had big fights. I suppose its ok if they are neutered, but I was told that as they are brothers (which they weren't) they didn't need to be.

dont give up hope, i was one of those people once. some people get home and think 'ill see what i can find out about bunnies' and find this place and turn into great bun mums!

dont lose hope, she may give those buns a great life.

but.....there really should be a minumum size by law :(

I've suddenly changed into a bun/pig mum that has turned very very caring, rehoused them, changed their diet.. blahblahblah. im so concerned now for them now, i never used to be! I just used to get them jabbed, but them in a small hutch for night and out on the grass for day, but oh no.. they live in a dog kennel now!! that is supposed to fit 3 large dogs, not 2 little animals! they're so spoilt now!, they have toys and all sorts!

Normally I try really hard to see the positive in Pets at home. However today I went into a larger store in the next town for fish food. Of course I couldn't help look at the rabbits.

I was shocked that they have a special offer of buy 2 rabbits for £45! Now ok its good that they are showing people that they should have company but what bothers me is that the buns they are selling are very young and difficult to sex.

Plus I saw a woman buy that dreadful 3ftx1ftx1ft hutch they insist on selling and two baby bunnies :cry: I did pipe up and explain that they were already too big for the hutch but the member of staff and the woman just stared at me like I'd escaped from a mental instiution. They then reward this woman by giving her a rabbit starter pack and weren't bothered that she clearly wasn't set up already.

You just know those rabbits are going to have miserable lives and I want to cry about it.

Kay, if this has actually happened then have you complained to anyone at store or at H/O? The reason why I say this, is the 3ft hutch is specified as only being 'suitable' for one guinea pig.

You really need to draw someones attention to this.

On a side note, I have it on good authority the horrible hutch is disappearing in the near future.

Kay, if this has actually happened then have you complained to anyone at store or at H/O? The reason why I say this, is the 3ft hutch is specified as only being 'suitable' for one guinea pig.

You really need to draw someones attention to this.

On a side note, I have it on good authority the horrible hutch is disappearing in the near future.

Thats good news, and great to have the info on what it is specified for, hopefully Kay will get back in touch with the store AND HO to sort it out. Good to have the info Lspacehopper :D

I'm not very popular in our P@H. If I see someone looking at the rabbits and discussing buying them, I sneak them one of our business cards when the shop worker isn't looking and have Bunnymadhouses number on the back for the rabbit rescue;). They then tend to follow me and ask more and leave without a pet shop bun:D

I'm not very popular in our P@H. If I see someone looking at the rabbits and discussing buying them, I sneak them one of our business cards when the shop worker isn't looking and have Bunnymadhouses number on the back for the rabbit rescue;). They then tend to follow me and ask more and leave without a pet shop bun:D

In our store we like people to know their options regarding where they can get a rabbit from :)

This site certainly gives u plenty of insight into whats right and wrong! I must say I was not 100% clued up on what is best for my bun but Honey was bought from a petshop! and she is well looked after.

My point is most people might be a bit naive to what is classed as a best size run or size cage for their bun! but by looking at her behaviour and visiting this type of website my knowledge has grown and all I can say is she is one happy bun! :)

I'm also a converted naive-er! But I knew I wanted a free range house bun, did some research and bought Rocky from P@H. It's only since having Rocky that I found RU.

On a side note, I complained about the a smaller privately owned petshop to the Scottish SPCA because of the way they were keeping their pets, and they did nothing. I then complained to our local council who have now revoked their license and they have closed! Sometimes good things do happen :D

Last edited:
Back