• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly foot

dinklepip

Alpha Buck
My Dutch Cookie still startles very easily, even after 3.5 years, he spends lots of time in the house with me, even moreso at the moment cus I can't put him and Bella together yet (croft car boot rabbit!).

Anyway, he likes running up and down the stairs and having lots of speedy gonzales moments. Heard a commotion when I was in the kitchen, popped back into the lounge where I found him holding one of his bag legs up. He has obviously hurt himself. Anyway, has been like it for a few days now, doesn't seem to hurt him and he lifts it to wash but can't scratch his ears easily tho. I have touched it and he doesn't seem to flinch, but I am concerned cus it looks a little swollen. He bobs around the lounge and puts some weight on it and then carries it up a little too, doesn't seem to bother him that much but he doesn't dart around as much obviously

I can only assume he has twisted something like we do when we slip. Am a bit concerned at the swelling, albeit not huge, tis just I am a worrier and notice anything minute. If he had broken it he wouldn't be able to carry any weight on it at all would he, and he would be in obvious discomfort?

Gonna see how he is and if no better by Tuesday, which will be a week by then, I will have to pop him to the vet.

Any ideas on what sort of injury it could be

Aww poor mite. They are so delicate it could be alot of things. It sounds like he has a torn muscle though. Best to get the vet just to check incase though. At least if theres nothing to worry about you've only lost a consultation fee :D

thanks Kay, dunno what the little monster did, he is so damn quick when he races around, blink and you miss him. His legs don't always seem to keep up with him when he races down the stairs so it mighta pulled something then. I did ask my vet about it when I took Bella for her myxi and said that if he had broken it he wouldnt be able to put any weight on it, and she obviously agreed. Just me getting all worked up again I suppose

Back