• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

whats best to do.??

englishgirlie

Warren Scout
Hi All.??
We brought our little lionhead baby rabbit last week.:)(Her name is Blossom)
And most of the time she is in the house with us, unless we go out or she is being a menace and we put her in her hutch.
Now at the moment the hutch has a thick layer of newspaper,then lots of woodshavings and hay.She has two compartments one where she goes and does her messing in her litter tray.And the other compartment where her bed is.
Now what i want to know is instead of putting woodshavings down as it can tend to be messy when she is in and out of the hutch at her leisure. Can i put carpet tiles down inside of woodshaving.??
Now would she try to nibble the carpet and would it do her any harm.??
Hope some one can advice me.!!
Thankyou.xx

Have you got a pic?
So do you mean you put newspaper down, then shavings, then hay?
Thats what i used to do :)
I dont do it anymore, mine just have hay, but mine are in a dog kennel

Hi *spider*
Yes what i do is put newspaper down.then cover all the hutch with woodshavings and then put a pile of hay in the corner where her bed is.
Sorry no pics just down loading some now of blossom to put on here.
It seems so messy this way though.

I just use hay on a layer of newspaper, it's easy to clean out too-just roll it up.

You could put vinyl floor tiles down, then you have a wipe clean surface.

if i put carpet floor tiles down if she nibbled them would it make her poorly.?? I saw someones photos on here and they had flooring down.?
She my first bunny so i want to make her comfortable the best i can.

I'd say try carpet tiles and see if she eats them, some do some dont. I don't think wood shavings are very good for rabbits anyway, as they can cause breathing problems. If she eats carpet tiles, you could try megazorb or something similar, although this can be a bit messy too. Maybe a littler tray with higher edges to keep the litter in?

This sort of weather it would be fine to leave the hutch floor bare and just put litter in a litter tray for her toilet corner. Wood based cat litter is heavier than wood shavings so less messy. Depending on the hutch you might want to varnish the floor or put lino down so it's easy to wipe clean.

I've always kept my hutches bare as I give them 2 big underbed storage boxes with litter and hay in to snuggle down away from draughts in winter - a doddle to clean out too :)

My buns were housebuns before so i have a little rug carpet that fits perfectly, i just cut away a corner for the ramp. They snuggle up on that and dont nibble it. I think pop it in and see what her reaction is. Mine have loads of toys and access to the ft by 6ft run underneath inside a shed at all times so dont think they would bother ripping the carpet up.

Back