• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding Help!!!

thegenge

New Kit
Help!!

I have a Rex doe about 18months old which I have been trying to breed with a plain bown/grey buck. But to date every litter she has had has died.

Some litters have lived a few days, but she does not appear to care for them and they die. Some other litters she has have have come out as dead blobs, and today I found her latest litter in her hutch dead, with one completely eaten apart from the head and another 1/2 eaten.

I have breed rabbits for many years before - but have never see a doe not care for her young or eat them. Anyideas how I can get her to breed??

Get the poor girl speyed and give her a rest she obviously isn't cut out for motherhood.
and if you want to rehome her as she cannot breed please find her a loving home where she won't be "tried" again.

Thanks that is what I have been thinking - any iead how to go about getting her desexed - as her and the buck are very close and hard to keep apart. I have another loop ear buck - but she beats him up.

Thanks that is what I have been thinking - any iead how to go about getting her desexed - as her and the buck are very close and hard to keep apart. I have another loop ear buck - but she beats him up.

Take her to the vets?

One she's been spayed she wont be able to stay with an intact breeding buck.

I agree with the others.
I would suggest you get both the doe and buck neutered by a good rabbit vet (as already suggested, let us know the area you are in to recommend one for you) and then they can go back together after the recovery period. She will need at least 10 days rest to get over her op and he does too, he will also still have hormones zipping around his body and will probably continue to hump her for a month or 2 so I would suggest sorting out some good sized accomodation where they can be next to each other during that time. Maybe seperate hutches with their runs adjoining so they can still interact and lay side by side next to the wire. Then rebond them once he is no longer so hormonal. May only be a couple of weeks if you are lucky :D

does this mean that the buck lives with her even when she is pregnant and has given birth? :?
It won't hurt them to separate them while she is spayed and recovers although its not a good idea to keep an unneutered male with a spayed female as he might pester her and they will end up fighting. She would be happier with a neutered male.

Poor little one :(

Please let her have a happy ending and have her spade and let her live out the est of her years with a neutered make companion.

Rabswood

Do you keep the buck in with her if they are hard to seperate? Sure he hasnt got to the babies?

Id agree with everyone else spay her and call it a day :)

Some rabbits just dont want to have children and ignore them or eat/harm them for them to die. She just isnt cut out to be a mother, this does happen often, there is nothing you can do to get her to look after them so best to get her spayed and let her live happily with her male friend.

:wave::D

I can only echo what others have said... to continue breeding from her would be extemely detrimental to her health, and she could end up very poorly. Getting her neutered is the best option.

I agree with the others about neutering this poor little one.:cry:

But would send both of them to be neutered together and not split them up.As they'll recover better if left together and would save having to bond them.:)

Thanks - I'm in Australia so I'll go see the local vet :cry: - failing that it might be time for some rabbit stew :p

i am sure this was meant as a joke but on this website you will find that will greatly offend people. you need to give her a good decent loving home. if she loves the buck then you need to get them both neutered get a good rabbit savvy vet (failing that often horse vets are good with rabbits) and ensure they are not starved prior to op. many people on here are rescues and are very anti breeding, due to the amount of abandoned rabbits each year. if you were serious about the pot then i think you clearly need to take her to a rescue to be rehomed where she can be nuetered and bonded and be happy. i think it would be a shame to continue breeding her after all the failed births.

Back