• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So mad... shot rabbits.

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
I am good friends with the lady who owns the stables where I keep my horse. However we have very different attitides towards animals. Last weekend she shot a load of rabbits from the fields, (including my horses field) and had them at her barbeque?????? She sent my lodger a pick of before and after :evil: She said they were eating too much grass. I know that these buns have babies.... if she shot a mother than I bet the babies will have died :( It makes me so angry. :evil:

Im sick of the lame excuses :evil:

I really think there should be a closed season during breeding seasons :evil:
It really :censored: me off that people are allowed to shoot adults that will clearly be feeding youngsters whatever species :evil:

I work with people that shoot too and have made it clear that no shooting isallowed on my reserve now im here :evil:

Im sick of the lame excuses :evil:

I really think there should be a closed season during breeding seasons :evil:
It really :censored: me off that people are allowed to shoot adults that will clearly be feeding youngsters whatever species :evil:

I work with people that shoot too and have made it clear that no shooting isallowed on my reserve now im here :evil:

Good on you Leanne..... I am worried as there is a pheasant and his wife who come every feed time to dine with Woody... lol (he chucks his food out of his bucket and tips it all over, making it great for birds)! I worry that they will be on her BBQ next :evil:

Pheasants: The pheasant shooting season lasts from October 1st to February 1st in England, Scotland and Wales. In Northern Ireland, it lasts from October 1st to January 31st.

Its illegal to shoot them now ;)

Game birds are the lucky ones but only to conserve numbers rather than on ethical grounds :rolleyes:

As far as im aware there is no seasons for mammals though :(

Pheasants: The pheasant shooting season lasts from October 1st to February 1st in England, Scotland and Wales. In Northern Ireland, it lasts from October 1st to January 31st.

Its illegal to shoot them now ;)

Game birds are the lucky ones but only to conserve numbers rather than on ethical grounds :rolleyes:

As far as im aware there is no seasons for mammals though :(

According to my husband they say that you shouldn't eat a rabbit when there isn't an 'R' in the month. Also there is closed season for hares and deer:
http://www.willogame.co.uk/game_seasons.htm

Whilst i am fine with people shooting and hunting rabbits with dogs (the dogs dont kill them the hunter does, dogs bring it back live) RESPONSIBLE people do not shoot rabbits during breeding season...

As for eating too much grass... We have rabbits in our field and under the cabin we built... The field has been overgrown for 6months and we cannot wait for some nibbling to go on!
Although sheep have been put on it now so less nibbilng is needed...

I am good friends with the lady who owns the stables where I keep my horse. However we have very different attitides towards animals. Last weekend she shot a load of rabbits from the fields, (including my horses field) and had them at her barbeque?????? She sent my lodger a pick of before and after :evil: She said they were eating too much grass. I know that these buns have babies.... if she shot a mother than I bet the babies will have died :( It makes me so angry. :evil:

That makes me so upset as i devote alot of time to saving wild rabbits.
Where my horses are they are alot of rabbits and she considered getting in someone to kill them as they dug holes and she was scared either my horse or her horse ( both are 16hh) would get down there and break their legs. I was upset and told her not to, so i showed her the two i have at the moment and she felt to bad for suggesting it she said :"i'll just have to keep shoving poo down it" :lol:

That makes me so upset as i devote alot of time to saving wild rabbits.
Where my horses are they are alot of rabbits and she considered getting in someone to kill them as they dug holes and she was scared either my horse or her horse ( both are 16hh) would get down there and break their legs. I was upset and told her not to, so i showed her the two i have at the moment and she felt to bad for suggesting it she said :"i'll just have to keep shoving poo down it" :lol:

I can understand her worry... when my mum was a trainee vet nurse she had a pet cow that had gone into a rabbit hole (or some other animal hole i forget) and sprained its leg :?

Due to vets bills it was horses, cows and goats before wild rabbits on their farm :roll:!
Most of the time rabbits dig near fences and hedgerows for protection though so out of the way of horses hooves...;):D

I can understand her worry... when my mum was a trainee vet nurse she had a pet cow that had gone into a rabbit hole (or some other animal hole i forget) and sprained its leg :?

Due to vets bills it was horses, cows and goats before wild rabbits on their farm :roll:!
Most of the time rabbits dig near fences and hedgerows for protection though so out of the way of horses hooves...;):D

Yes i completely understand C's concern and there's a warren right in the middle of our field so we've got someone in to them out, and he filled it in. He was a rabbit man, but yeah there is massssssive warren near the fence, they just come into the field and chase the shetlands :lol That was about a month ago and i checked last week? there's a new one behind the actual stables, so thats fine :) But i think killing some doesnt necessarily mean it'll go away

^^
The rabbits must feel very comfy to build in the middle of your field Spider! :D

I do love to see wild rabbits running around and if i did find an injured or orphaned one i would definitely help it...

It is a pity that farms and livestock and rabbits cant go hand in hand sometimes... :(

Ah - the pains of the horse world!:? Unfortunately many horse people are pro-hunting.:rolleyes:

I was recently asked by one of my friends at my livery stables if me and Smokey would like to go on a drag hung - I declined.;) Even if it is 'drag' I don't really agree with the principle and honestly wouldn't put it past some people to 'accidentially' find and kill a fox.:rolleyes:

I'm forever hearing shooting around our land when I'm out riding - bloody hunters!:evil: And poor little peasants/pigeons/rabbits.:cry:

:( poor buns. and poor lodger, he must have been traumatised as i know how much he loves Prin (and Jack!!!)

people just dont get it that just because you can eat an animal, doesnt mean it's right to go rubbing it in people's faces!

stupid woman, maybe you should ask her not to send photos like that as it is clearly distressing for you and him!

I'm very horsey, but me and C are very very very against hunting. I think it's wrong on every level. But that's my opinion :rolleyes:
Yes, come to my horse's field! There are sooooooo many!!! And i found two baby wild rabbits in the hay stack so i took them home and im hand rearing them at the moment with help from vets.
The reason i joined this forum was because ( on my old account ) i found a wild baby with a dodgey spinal cord... so asked for help and got it. Unfortunately he died of shock :(

Poor bunnies :cry:

I do find that alot of people assume that i am pro hunting because im horsey which i find a bit insulting :roll:

Nothing could be further from the truth!

Poor rabbits, we have some up our horse field and they have never caused a problem and right up the back field there is hundreds :shock:, we still have plenty of grass and never had any injuries due to wholes. We've had about 5 wholes in the middle of the field and filled them in with horse poop, it leveled out again in no time. There is no excuse at all for it, if you have animals you need to protect the solution comes out their behind :rolleyes:

Back