• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What garden plants do your rabbits NOT eat?

Vic

Young Bun
Hi

My two rexes have free run of the garden all day and et everything in sight. It means I have a lovely lawn and few weeds, but also few plants!

They do not eat my primroses or my calla/arum lilies, but have gobbled the herbs, roses, geraniums, lavender, shrubs etc.

Can anyone tell me any other plants their free-range rabbits do not eat? Then I can try to put some plants/flowers back into the bare beds!

Thanks!

Vic

There is nothing a rabbit won't eat unless its one of the smart ones that realise after one bite its poisonous (which I suspect is why they haven't touched your lilies and primroses)
I would move the lilies and primroses out of reach just in case they do decide to munch them though as they are toxic, I doubt they will if they don't touch them now but better safe than sorry :D

My roses, apple tree and my twisted willows are all that have survived, although damage to the trunks is pretty bad!

I would go for hanging baskets and lots of big roses (anything smaller than 4 ft will be killed with browsing!) and go for ornamental willows but bunny proof any part of the trunk they can reach :D

Im now going down the route of willow fencing and stone type sculptures as I bought 3.5ft high containers which they can easily jump in and can't find anything taller! Ive hung baskets along the fence now for colour!
I need to do something about the remaining 2 roses though as they look terrible :lol:

You could also try a green wire fence but again, needs to be at least 4 ft high! You can then plant behind it and still see the colours :D
Im planning this when I get some more money!

Mine haven't attempted to touch my Mexican Orange Blossom shrubs. They're evergreen (in varying shades depending on which variety you buy) and they have lovely white flowers at this time of year. They also don't touch my holly bushes - lol - can't think why! As per a post above, they will strip the bark on anything edible such as my weeping crab apple tree - so I protect it to about 4ft high. They also haven't touched a 'box' type shrub - sorry I have no idea what it is but it resembles box and is now about four feet wide by four feet across. The hooligans dug up hundreds of newly planted shrubs in our park about 10 years ago and scattered them everywhere. Some found their way into my garden after I was out walking the dogs early the morning after the yobs had done their worst!!

I spent many years battling with this problem before giving up! The best I managed was to cover the flower beds with decorative coloured slate and use bright pots to grow plants in. They need to be tall pots though, as mine soon discovered vertical take-off and landing techniques to get into them and carry on munching. In my experience even if they don't want to eat the plant, they will often snip them off at the base and kill them that way!

Hi, have had a similar problem as my buns have run of garden and have eaten lots of my plants & flowers over the years.

Have only a couple of things I have planted that they will not eat at all and they are hydrangea and pieris. I have 2 varieties of pieris and I know there are quite a few more varieties. They are quite nice plants with leaves that start off red and then go green and they have lovely white flowers in the spring. They are also evergreen. The only thing with them is they are quite slow growing and can take quite a few years to get very big unles you buy a big one to start with (but they cost more).

Hope this helps :wave:

Thanks Foofy and Mackers, those plants all look nice, I shall keep an eye out for them at the garden centre.
Vic

My garden used to be beautiful and varied after 15 years hard work. now it is mainly lawn with conifers and the odd established plant and tree remaining, but only the bits that are 3ft or higher:lol:

Pieris are definately never touched, and some ferns are ignored once they've unfurled (but they eat them just as they're sprouting). All my beautiful aquilegas are gone:cry:along with my lovely hebe's:cry:
The rabbits love a good graze though:D

This year I'm restocking my garden with standards and protecting the stems with wire.

Back