• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does it bug you.....

lauramc888

Warren Scout
when people say 'its only a rabbit'?!! my rabbit had had over 300 quid of treatment at vet for an abscess. and it wont be over yet, and when i mentioned her going in for an op to some workmates a lot of them are like ' a rabbit, just put it in a pot' etc etc
I LOVE MY RABBITS!!!! I said to one guy well ill mind that if anything ever happens to your daughter, ill just say shes only a daughter, and he said you cant compare a rabbit to a child. Well. I JUST DID!!!! i have no children yet, my rabbits are my babies, and id do anything to help them!
Anyone agree??

when people say 'its only a rabbit'?!! my rabbit had had over 300 quid of treatment at vet for an abscess. and it wont be over yet, and when i mentioned her going in for an op to some workmates a lot of them are like ' a rabbit, just put it in a pot' etc etc
I LOVE MY RABBITS!!!! I said to one guy well ill mind that if anything ever happens to your daughter, ill just say shes only a daughter, and he said you cant compare a rabbit to a child. Well. I JUST DID!!!! i have no children yet, my rabbits are my babies, and id do anything to help them!
Anyone agree??

totally! people think that because rabbits are a "food animal" that they are somehow inferior pets. just ask them if THEY have any pets, then if they say a cat or a dog or whatever, ask them if they'd put their precious pet in a pot just because it was ill

people are ignorant and are mostly just trying to be funny, forgetting that, as rabbit owners, we have heard these lame old jokes countless times before..

snore! get a new hobby silly stupid people!:roll:

i've not experienced any negative comments yet, everyone i've spoken to coo's about him and want to meet the monster... and when they do meet him, they want to steal him!

i can imagine a "he belongs in a pot" comment would go over my head but if someone said "it's only a rabbit" i would probably beat 10 shades of *poop* out of them. *ahem*

I'm amazed at how so many people don't know that they can be indoor pets aswell and think they would smell bad!

i hate it also! when my smudge died i was so upset i didnt go into work that day and when one of the lads i work with found out this he was amazed saying "but it was only a rabbit!!". no its not only a 'rabbit', he was like a child to me!

i hate it also! when my smudge died i was so upset i didnt go into work that day and when one of the lads i work with found out this he was amazed saying "but it was only a rabbit!!". no its not only a 'rabbit', he was like a child to me!

:evil: some people! I'm inconsolable when any of my hamsters have passed, i can't begin to imagine what I'd be like with a bun. :(

its mainly all men i work with and you know what men are like!!! when pepper was in getting an operation on her abscess, i took 2nights off work so i could be at home and look after her!!! Didnt tell my workmates that though! i also took a half day off a week later because her breathing was bad (luckily she ok at the mo) and folk kind of smirk and ask hows your rabbit. what do people expect you to do? just go ' och its only a rabbit ill leave it to rot' BAR STEWARDS!
i know majority of people are usually jokin and dont understand how attatched you can get to rabbits, but i really think some folk need to shut their mouths! its something that irritates me, folk being incosiderate. i know that a child isnt the same as a rabbit, but how would they feel if their kid was in hospital with a serious illness and i said something like ' its ok you could just have another one' grrrrrr

I agree, it's hard for decent rabbit owners.

I would do pretty much anything to keep the rabbits healthy and happy, I don't think this is strange, I'd make the same commitment to any pet. Let's face it, if you're not going to do your best for them, why get them in the first place?

My mum hit the nail on the head the other day, she said she couldn't understand why people spend £50 on rabbits at P@H, £150 on a hutch and then refuse to pay £20 for a myxi jab to protect their rabbit from disease. Surely they should be protecting their 'investment'!

nah it dont bother me at all... people say it about the dog too.. but if they dont keep pets i cant expect them to understand that an animal is part of the family :D

as long as the people in my house (me and ste) see them as more than just an animal thats all that matters.. i couldnt live with someone who dont love animals and sees them as just a .......

It does irritate me but I'm learning to ignore it. If their cat or dog was poorly, they'd get loads of sympathy but because my pets are "just rabbits" everyone is like "oh if it's poorly, just pop it in a stew".

They would be outraged if I suggested they eat their cat/dog - obviously I have chosen to keep rabbits so have as strong a bond with them as others do with their chosen pets, people are so thoughtless. When Poppy died I was in bits but couldnt explain why to anyone at work cos I knew they'd just laugh and I'd feel worse. Which is why I'm glad to have found this forum to have a whinge on. ;)

I think if a person is not an 'animal' person, then it doesn't matter what kind of furry it is, they'll say "well it was only a cat/rabbit/dog/horse...." etc, etc. I've had hurtful comments made when I've lost a dog as well as when I've been inconsolable over the loss of a rabbit. I broke my heart over a hamster too. If you love animals, it doesn't matter what the species, you give your heart to it and you break your heart when it dies.

It takes another true animal lover to understand - not just someone who states "oh, I love my dog" but then won't take it out for a walk when it's raining or won't take it to the vet because it'll be expensive. I think everyone on this forum is of the same opinions when it comes to the love we have for our rabbits and other furry friends. Don't take the hurtful comments to heart - the people who made them are usually not worth bothering with.

Anyone agree??

Hello fellow Scot :wave:

It bugs me enrmously but then people say the same about wee beasties like beetles. I can't see why humans have to be superior over animals. I believe we are all the same. You ought to tell your collegues that in China many dogs go into the "pot". Its all about perception. Many people see rabbits as a fluffy, toy like child's pet. I do my best to blow the myth. People are astounded when I tell them, bunnies lick you like dogs, can use cat flaps etc. Just you keep doing your bit educating these numpties.

Back