• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another of BunBuns kits goes to the bridge

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I can't believe it. Tiger Baby has just gone to the bridge. It was straight after a feed. The feed was normal. I give them all 3 syringes each pop them back in the box then give them another 3 each. They all 3 babies took it as normal. When I put Tiger back in the box after the second feed of 3, he suddenly went limp. I picked him up and rubbed his tummy. Within less than 5 minutes he was gone? I don't know what is happening to the babies. They seem fine one minute and the next they are gone.

What do you think is the cause? I feed them the same everytime. I don't do anythig different. I did notice this time Tiger had loose smelly poo on his fur that I wiped off quickly as much as I could before the feed as he was gagging to get to his milk. He hasn't had loose poo before. In their cage they now have a bowl of water with pro biotic in and a bowl of chopped up SS and hay. They have a feed around 11.00am and one before bed around midnight. Just 2 a day now.

My poor babies, why are they dying?

Tiger Baby as born on the 29th of April.

Tonight I also notice that Beige Baby had fur stuck around his eyes. I have cleaned them up with cooled boiled water on a Q tip. I think they look a little swollen around the eyelids. What should I do? Beige Baby is acting normally.

M

I had a particular soft spot for Tiger Baby as he was the smallest, but so lovely.
I can't believe what's happening. All four seem healthy and thriving and now one by one they are going to the Bridge :cry:

Rabswood

Unfortunately with handrearing sometimes you do loose them for no apparent reason. Between three and four weeks was when I lost Scamp's siblings and does seem to be a critical period. Same thing, very sudden :( I had the vet pm one and she said everything looked perfect all she could guess was a virus they didn't have immunity for.

Oh no.....I am SO very sorry to hear this. They are such fragile little things. :cry: :cry:

Binky free at the Bridge with your Mummy, beautiful Tiger Baby. xxxxx :cry: :cry:

I'm sorry. I'm sure it isn't anything you could have prevented, as Tamsin said, hand rearing is really hard and they do seem to be more prone to passing on.

FC xx

awww how sad for you :cry: I hand reared a litter of 7 wild ones way back when I was a kid, and only 2 survived - they are just very delicate little bubs - when you think how delicate adult rabbits are, it's not suprising really that babies are so fragile :( Not sure if mixing in some adult caecal pellet with their feed might help? although what quantity is anyones guess....

They just dont have the immunity of an adult to fight off what would otherwise be relatively harmless bacteria etc.

Weaning age is usually the worst period because the stomach has to go through a major period of readjustment (changing for alkali to acidic) in order to adequately process solid foods and it puts them at major risk of GI disturbance.

Are they having probiotic in their feed? Another method used is powdered colostrum which is present in mothers first few feeds as a way of boosting immunity....thats why people always say the first milk is the most vital.

I so hope the other manage to pull through. x

They just dont have the immunity of an adult to fight off what would otherwise be relatively harmless bacteria etc.

Weaning age is usually the worst period because the stomach has to go through a major period of readjustment (changing for alkali to acidic) in order to adequately process solid foods and it puts them at major risk of GI disturbance.

Are they having probiotic in their feed? Another method used is powdered colostrum which is present in mothers first few feeds as a way of boosting immunity....thats why people always say the first milk is the most vital.

I so hope the other manage to pull through. x

Yes they always have a small pinch of probiotic in their milk.
Can I just buy powdered colostrum from the vet Sooz?

Rabswood

Yes they always have a small pinch of probiotic in their milk.
Can I just buy powdered colostrum from the vet Sooz?

Rabswood

You can but they may have to order it in specially. Im afraid it's supposed to be quite expensive too.

I dont know how effective it would be at this stage because it's usually given in the initial feeds but I wuld think it could offer them some support.

Have you read this: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

Hi :wave:I'm really sorry to hear about your baby bunny :cry: You could try using Fibreplex. I used this when I handreared the wild rabbits and found they just licked it off the end of the syringe as it's carrot flavoured. Hope the other babies are ok.
Em

Last edited:
oh no:cry: how sad. i think you're doing a great job and unfortunately baby bunnies are just so fragile. Really hope the others pull through xx

Back