• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

oi, clever people, i've got a myxi question i can't find an answer for!

Lauralou

Warren Veteran
i'm wondering how information is collated for myxi and/or vhd statistics? is it done by wild bunnies or vet cases or both? if it's wild bunnies, do important people trawl through fields looking for them? i've been wondering this lately.

if a vet deals with a myxi case, do they have to alert anyone? like some authorities or something? I noticed that my county wasn't on the list for outbreaks but i'm sure my vet mentioned that he'd seen a rise in cases - though i'm not sure if he meant that personally or with vet surgeries in general.

woo, i don't know why these things pop into my head but it makes me lose sleep! :lol:

answer this and i will bake for you!

Last edited:
I ain't clever but.... :lol:

Found this from the BBC - it's quite old but is interesting http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1323416.stm

I imagine that data is collected by wildlife groups and veterinarians and given to specific groups, including Defra. Although the Myxomatosis Pressure Group site says that Defra have been less than helpful :roll: http://www.myxomatosis.org.uk/Our_aims.html

I doubt that vets have to alert anyone for a single case but I suspect they collect information together after a certain amount of time. Perhaps if they see a sudden increase in cases they will alert some sort of wildlife group, someone must tell the media when the risk is high :?

The BBC article says that data is often published in veterinary journals such as The Veterinary Record published by the British Veterinary Association http://veterinaryrecord.bvapublications.com/, however I think you need to be a vet to access these :rolleyes:
EDIT: Just did a search and although you have to pay to download them you can still see the article titles: http://veterinaryrecord.bvapublications.com/cgi/search?pubdate_year=&volume=&firstpage=&author1=&author2=&title=myxomatosis&andorexacttitle=and&titleabstract=&andorexacttitleabs=and&fulltext=&andorexactfulltext=and&fmonth=Apr&fyear=1950&tmonth=May&tyear=2008&fdatedef=15+April+1950&tdatedef=24+May+2008&flag=&RESULTFORMAT=1&hits=10&hitsbrief=25&sortspec=relevance&sortspecbrief=relevance&sendit=Search

ETA: I'll have a double layer chocolate fudge cake pleeeease!!! :p :lol:

Last edited:
:wave::wave: thanks for that!

"Establish whose responsibility it is that Myxomatosis continues to thrive in the UK when it was released illegally in the 1950's?"

i didn't know it was released illegally? blimey.

my oven isn't keen on big cakes (tends to burn the outside and leave the inside raw!) but i make amazing cupcakes, yes i do!

cuppycakes for you!! nomnomnom. double chocolate fudge coming up!

here's a pink one to tide you over... :wave:

pinkcuppy.jpg

Oh man that's an awesome cup cake... :D yeh, stuff normal cake these beauties are what it's all about, and if your gob is big enough they are bite-size! :shock: :lol:

I think Myxi is a natural disease that occurred elsewhere first and came to the UK originally accidentally in the early 1900's, but they managed to control it, possibly wipe it out. It was then released again, intentionally to control population :evil:

Having said that rabbits aren't native to Britian either an were introduced to the island in the 12th Century by the Romans, bringing them from Spain. Awww thank you Romans (even if they did keep them for meat :( )

:wave::wave: thanks for that!

"Establish whose responsibility it is that Myxomatosis continues to thrive in the UK when it was released illegally in the 1950's?"

i didn't know it was released illegally? blimey.

my oven isn't keen on big cakes (tends to burn the outside and leave the inside raw!) but i make amazing cupcakes, yes i do!

cuppycakes for you!! nomnomnom. double chocolate fudge coming up!

here's a pink one to tide you over... :wave:

pinkcuppy.jpg

Britain decided not to use Myxomatosis in the 1950's amid fears it could wipe out the rabbit population too quickly. A farmer introduced it himself in 1953 and it spread across the country within a couple of years.

VHD was released illegally too. No government has yet 'formally' released it. Farmers began to give each other the carcasses of dead VHD rabbits to leave on their property in order to infect the local wild population against government orders.

I think one of the reasons the government was worried is that VHD is a Calcivirus, which are notoriously unstable and known to 'jump' species (like SARS). There is a *chance* it could one day mutate to affect other species....even people!

Not totally relevant to your original questions but interesting anyway, I hope! :)

Last edited:
Britain decided not to use Myxomatosis in the 1950's amid fears it could wipe out the rabbit population too quickly. A farmer introduced it himself in 1953 and it spread across the country within a couple of years.

VHD was released illegally too. No government has yet 'formally' released it. Farmers began to give each other the carcasses of dead VHD rabbits to leave on their property in order to infect the loal wild population against government orders.

I think one of the reasons the government was worried is that VHD is a Calcivirus, which are notoriously unstable and know to 'jump' species (like SARS). There is a *chance* it could one day mutate to affect other species....even people!

Not totally relevant to your original questions but interesting anyway, I hope! :)

no, no, that's very interesting, thank-you!

naughty farmer! i think it has mutated and affected me, i think my insides are turning to sludge today, meh! :lol:

Back