• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What now?

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Hi all, not sure if you've seen my thread in the Rainbow Bridge but tonight I found Eddie dead in the hutch, I am gutted:cry: He was my gorgeous boy:cry:
This leaves Elsa by herself, Eddie was her son and they've been together for years. There are no rescues here (I live in Orkney) and it's too expensive and time consuming for me to get to the mainland to try and bond her. I don't want to buy a baby from a petshop or from one of the rubbish breeders here (I'm not against good breeders, but there are NO good breeders here). Plus Elsa is around 5/6 and I wouldn't want to pair her with a baby. I do have a friend who has a single, female (unspeyed, Elsa is speyed) who is willing to try and bond her bun with Elsa. She would keep the 2 of them (she looks after her bun well or I wouldn't even consider this). I would really really miss Elsa but does this sound like a good, or bad, solution. Does anyone have any ideas? Would I be better just keeping Elsa by herself? I'm so sad about Eddie and at a total loss here:cry:

Hi there.

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you have lost your bun. You must be heartbroken.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't even try bonding the two buns unless your friend get's hers spayed and then lets her hormones subside. It's going to be more difficult to bond two girlies anyway, but I wouldn't hold out much hope at all unless both are spayed.

I think it's lovely and very selfless of you to consider giving up your lovely lady bunny in order to give her a friend. If you think that your friend can give her a good life with her bun then it would be a very kind thing to do. If there is a possibility that you may be able to get an older bunny from the mainland at a later date then maybe it would be worth taking a while to think about the situation. I have also been in a situation of offering up one of my single bunnies to a friend to bond when it looked like I was never going to be able to bond him with anyone. Anyway, he didn't like her bunny and in the time since I have now managed to get him a lady friend of his own and they are still with me. I would have been gutted if I was honest if I had given him up, even if it was to live with a lovely friend of mine.

I would just take a while to decide.

Keep us all posted.

Sending you a big hug for losing your lovely fella.:(

Helen

Thank you:wave:. I'm thinking maybe I have been a bit hasty. It's just that Eddie and Elsa were such a 'couple', I can't bear to think of her being lonely and missing him:( But I don't want to be without her either, especially as she's middle aged to elderly now! I don't think getting another rabbit from the mainland is an option tbh. I'll phone the vets on Monday and see if they know of an older bun that may need a new home/friend.:)

Do you have a local paper? Maybe ask if they'll put an appeal out for you :) Asking your vet is a good idea or checking small ads :)

Back