• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to the Forum and my new Bunny

Isis

Mama Doe
Hey,
This is my first post on here, so hey :wave: everyone :D Great forum.

Today I picked up my new Netherland Dwarf, he/she is about 8 weeks old. I haven't sexed it yet, but I think it might be female. But not 100% sure yet.

He/she is going to be living in the house and I am going to attempt on litter training him/her, could anyone tell me if there is anything I might need to know. I have kept Rabbits before, but they have always been kept outside.

Here is a pic of my baby
photo0009rt3.jpg

I'm going to call him/her Casey

Isis

What a beautiful bunny & I love the name. There is loads of information on this forum, sometimes it's most helpful just to browse the threads. Im always finding things I dont know about!

Welcome to RU :wave:

Welcome to RU! :wave:

You have such a sweet bunny!!

There is loads of info on here, but if you can't find what you're looking for, don't be afraid to ask. Someone will know the answer :)

Hey,
This is my first post on here, so hey :wave: everyone :D Great forum.

Today I picked up my new Netherland Dwarf, he/she is about 8 weeks old. I haven't sexed it yet, but I think it might be female. But not 100% sure yet.

He/she is going to be living in the house and I am going to attempt on litter training him/her, could anyone tell me if there is anything I might need to know. I have kept Rabbits before, but they have always been kept outside.

Here is a pic of my baby
photo0009rt3.jpg

I'm going to call him/her Casey

Isis
What a little darling :) Maybe if you enjoy keeping her, it'd be a good idea to get another one to keep her social and happy.
Welcome to RU! :wave: I have no advise to give you as i only have experience with wild buns and try and keep my two live out.
Hope you feel welcome here :)

So I was sat on the sofa with my baby Casey, watching the TV and something on the TV made him jump :(
I was like my poor baby :(

awww I love nethies :D it's a bit of a scary time for them living somewhere new away from mum though, so don't be tempted to give him/her any new food or grass or anything like that until she's settled in for a couple of months - they can get sick if you change their food over. If you want to litter train her you need paper based litter, like carefresh, and a big cat litter tray - the luxury sized ones are good as you can put fresh hay up one end of the tray twice a day, and they keep themselves busy looking through the hay for tasty bits, and while they munch they go to the loo, so it solves 2 problems at once. Hay's the main thing they need to eat so try and find some good stuff from a farm shop or riding stables or somewhere, and she/he'll be a happy bunny :)

Awww :love: what a beautiful bun.

I am sure you'll get loads of advice on here but just to add to that I'd say never underestimate the gaps a bunny can squeeze into especially a Nethie so just take care when blocking gaps up other wise you could end up with Casey chewing through the fridge wire! :lol: I speak from experience on that one :D

At the moment he/she is only staying in my room, until she has settled in properly. I've kept her on the same food as what they were feeding her and some hay. Thank you for the advise on litter training, I will try putting some hay in the tray tomorrow, she is tucked up in bed right now :D

oh, isn't she just adorable! :love:

my advice would be to start with at least 2 litter trays with a little soiled litter in each so she gets the idea of what they are there for.

if she's up on sofas or beds, watch for her lifting her tail to pee, cleaning up pee of sofas can be really annoying! :lol:

Aww he's a real cutie :love:

Welcome to the forum you'll find it very useful, i know I did when I got my nethie Alice. I've had her from a similar age and she's a litter trained house bunny too. She was very quiet at first until she got used to everything but now there's no stopping her, make sure there's nothing Casey can chew because Alice chews through anything she can get hold of, the living room is now completely bunny proofed! She jumped at the tv as well at first but now she happily lies on the floor watching it :lol:

Back