• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lots of bunnies

Hiya.

Well I realise that I can only care for mine because I work part-time, otherwise I'd have no chance!

I have 6 pairs and two singles waiting to be bonded. It has taken me about 3 hours so far to day and I have two hutches and runs left to do. Full clean out twice a week so that's a fair bit of work. Love every minute of it though.:D

I only have 8 buns of my own, but I also have 6 fosters staying here at the moment. I work full time, so my time is limited. I find it quite easy to cope in summer, but really tough in winter because it's dark when I go to work, and dark when I get home.

I have six and make it harder for myself because I don't use cages and clean their living areas every day :oops: I don't like the floors being covered in hay and droppings and I'm obsessed with sweeping it up.
I think it's because mice live under the shed next door and I have a feeling they have taken up residency under my summerhouse. I found one IN the summerhouse tonight when I went to get the buns in from the garden and it freaks me out. I managed to usher the little mouse out but for some reason it just makes me want to disinfect everything...even though I know the rabbits prob make just as much mess. I know mice go in there during the day while the door is open so I have to disinfect the floors every day. :shock:

I have the whole summerhouse to sweep up and clean floor, then the litter trays to clean and change and then the rooms in the house that my indoor bunnies use...not to mention the stairs and landings that I have to hoover all of the time because hay gets trampled up and down the stairs all day.

It takes me about two hours a day to clean and feed everyone. A lot longer to actually sit and spend time with them all....having said that I could never go back to just having one or two bunnies....though it would certainly make my life easier :)

I'm used to having more than 6 here when I have fosters, but now I've put it on hold i'm getting used to having just six to deal with!

It would be very intresting to hear daily routiens with all these bunnies. Mine is easy, get up at 6.30 ish fed Abbey and nunzeo, sweep up, then feed Jess. do whatever I have that day, clean out at around 6 ish, fed at 10 ish, and Jess is out of her cage most of the day.

In summer my routine is:

7.30am - Get up and feed/water buns, uncover tarpaulins from hutches, give morning meds to any poorly buns.

8.15am - Go to work (weekdays anyway)

6pm - Get home from work (time varies)

6.30pm - Prepare veg for buns evening meal, change litter trays and spot clean on rotational basis (pairs done every other day, singles twice a week), put buns out in runs if weather is good.

8.30pm - Finish cleaning, and put buns away, evening meds for poorly buns.

10pm - Cover hutches for the night.

Its a good question. I've never really thought about it before.
My routine is to get up fed them breakfast, get my own and then let them out for a run.
They get another run in the afternoon and a final one in the evening. I sit in their runs wth them a lot too so we get a lot of bonding done.
I do my cleaning every 2 days since they are outdoors. I bug them a lot iwth my camera too :lol: I'm very close to my buns. They give me a lot of affection and I return it but best of all they trust me.
I work and go to uni but somehow I still have time for them. I'd rather just be at home all the time but realistically its not possible. If I had 10+ rabbits I probably wouldn't have the time but the 8 I've got are very happy and get all my life.

Oh and like Hugo's there, I don't have much of a social life which helps. Nor do I have a whinging big baby of a man to take up my time :lol:

when I had 7 rabbits the main problem was they had to share the same patio, but didn't get along with all the other rabbits - at one point I had to use the patio for 4 seperate rabbits or groups of rabbits, which just took me all day swapping them around. It's easy now there's just the 2 groups/single to swap round - they all get out a lot more and for longer at a time :)

cleaning them and feeding them has never taken long compared to the piggies though - when rabbits are litter trained it's so quick to do a clean-out, whereas it's like painting the forth bridge with lots of piggies, especially long haired ones that need grooming - I'm just glad I managed to bond some the other week so I only have 7 hutches/cages to do now - I had 14 this time last year, plus the rabbits :shock: It was neverending then but I don't go out to work as my son's disabled and doesn't go to school, so I'm here anyway :)

Oh and like Hugo's there, I don't have much of a social life which helps. Nor do I have a whinging big baby of a man to take up my time :lol:

ah yes - those are important factors to my coping too - although my son is definitely in training :roll:

So how much time per day do you spend doing the 'job' part of bunny care, By 'job' part I mean feeding, cleaning, meds water and hay stuff and sorting out who goes into what run/ room. Pretty much everything apart from sitting in front of the telly with a bunny on your lap?

I probably spend 10 mins on non cleaning days, and an hour on cleaning days, but thats because its done while dancing and drinking beer otherwise it'd take 20mins.

I spend about 2 hours a day with Jesse though shes out 6-10 hrs.

So how much time per day do you spend doing the 'job' part of bunny care, By 'job' part I mean feeding, cleaning, meds water and hay stuff and sorting out who goes into what run/ room. Pretty much everything apart from sitting in front of the telly with a bunny on your lap?

I spend about 30 or 40 mins in the morning and about 2 hours in the evening doing routine stuff like cleaning and feeding. Meds only take a few minutes per bun because I've spent many years learning the best way to wrestle a stubborn rabbit into submission :lol:

I have 7, it is easier now i have pairs! But sometimes it can be a struggle but i just get on with it lol

xx

I spend about 30 or 40 mins in the morning and about 2 hours in the evening doing routine stuff like cleaning and feeding. Meds only take a few minutes per bun because I've spent many years learning the best way to wrestle a stubborn rabbit into submission :lol:

Wow, do you ever just want the day off? I get the ocasional day where I just sit and look at their water bowl (not for the whole day, I'm not THAT weird) and think, I really cant be bothered to go change it. And sometimes at night, I really can't be bothered to do their veg, they still get it all done though, I'm not mean, plus they sleep in my room so if I didn't feed them there is no way they'd let me sleep :lol:

I only have four but the main problem I have right now is having them all out at the same time because I am not home during the day :)

Which ever buns are playing in the garden need supervising and which ever buns are in the house need supervising :lol: Im still at my mums so cant just stick them in a room and let them get on with it incase someone else is using that room. Like Friday night my brother had his mates in the front room and my mum and her bloke were in the kitchen :lol: It will be so much easier when I move out and dont have to worry about anyone else :)

It takes me about 5 minutes each day to clean the litter trays, and another 5 minutes to feed them, fill up hay and water :)

To do the proper clean each week its about an hour to clean all the hutches x

I only have four but the main problem I have right now is having them all out at the same time because I am not home during the day :)

Which ever buns are playing in the garden need supervising and which ever buns are in the house need supervising :lol: Im still at my mums so cant just stick them in a room and let them get on with it incase someone else is using that room. Like Friday night my brother had his mates in the front room and my mum and her bloke were in the kitchen :lol: It will be so much easier when I move out and dont have to worry about anyone else :)

It takes me about 5 minutes each day to clean the litter trays, and another 5 minutes to feed them, fill up hay and water :)

To do the proper clean each week its about an hour to clean all the hutches x

I find it easier living with my parents, I can go out and leave my mum to babysit Jesse while she is out of her cage, I wouldn'd be able to leave her out if there was no-one in the house. I pay my mum in wine, she likes it.

Wow, do you ever just want the day off? I get the ocasional day where I just sit and look at their water bowl (not for the whole day, I'm not THAT weird) and think, I really cant be bothered to go change it. And sometimes at night, I really can't be bothered to do their veg, they still get it all done though, I'm not mean, plus they sleep in my room so if I didn't feed them there is no way they'd let me sleep :lol:

I sometimes get an evening off if I'm going out...then it's just an evening feed of veg :D

Unfortunately most of my rabbits don't have very good litter training habits, especially any un-neutered fosters and my incontinent bun Crunchie...I can't stand any smell from the rabbits, so have to clean out as soon as I can smell them :(

I find it easier living with my parents, I can go out and leave my mum to babysit Jesse while she is out of her cage, I wouldn'd be able to leave her out if there was no-one in the house. I pay my mum in wine, she likes it.

:lol: With three adults living here it doesnt really work like that for us :) If my brother or mum bring friends or anything home after a night out the last thing they want to find is hay and bunny poop all over the floor :lol:

If I asked someone to babysit the buns while I went out I would be told to :censored: off :shock: :lol: Its not my house so I cant just put the buns where I want :) When I move out I will be able to shut them in whichever room I want to and let them get on with it while I supervise the two outside or whatever :)

:lol: With three adults living here it doesnt really work like that for us :) If my brother or mum bring friends or anything home after a night out the last thing they want to find is hay and bunny poop all over the floor :lol:

If I asked someone to babysit the buns while I went out I would be told to :censored: off :shock: :lol: Its not my house so I cant just put the buns where I want :) When I move out I will be able to shut them in whichever room I want to and let them get on with it while I supervise the two outside or whatever :)

Ahhh theres the difference, I'm mummies little angel (at 22) and I have the top floor to myself and my 3 rabbits, so they barely notice us anyway. I've just realised I have 4 bedrooms!!!! Blimey I am spoilt.

Back