• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think we're losing Daisy U/D a reprieve + vid clip

vick

Alpha Buck
Daisy had two infected teeth out last week and seemed to recover fairly well from her op. However last night she seemed to go downhill again and was holding her head slightly to one side as she had done before the op. Her left eye is also discharging and slightly bulgy (although the bulging may have been caused by Harvey continually grooming her).

We took her to the vets this morning and she is concerned that an abscess may have developed behind her eye. She has given her a shot of Tribrissen and we are to carry on with baytril, Metacam and now have eye cream too.

We've brought her home and she looks dreadful, much worse than before. She isn't interested in anything, is licking her lips a lot and looks very uncomfortable. I can't see that she's going to make it through today. I don't want to lose her :cry:

Please send her some vibes

Last edited:
Wishing Daisy well

Don't give up I nursed a rabbbit with similar symptoms and he did get better.

Chin up

Maureen

She has been really brave bless her. She's getting on for 6 years old now so it's really not fair that this is happening to her.

Harvey is out with her at the moment and I don't know whether that's a good thing with her eye being so swollen. He keeps wanting to groom it and I think she finds his grooming a bit full on!

I stupidly forgot to ask the vet if I should be giving Baytril today on top of the injection of Tribrissen she had earlier - can anyone help? I suppose it won't hurt if we give it to her late tonight.

At what point should I try to syringe some water into her? I'm really worried about her dehydrating and she hasn't shown any interest in it since we brought her back from the vet.

Thanks for the vibes so far x

when Maa had a head abscess she was given the baytril as well as the stronger antibiotic for a week with no ill effect - baytril's very gentle and I think the 2 used together target the bacteria better - but you could ring and check if you're worried - Hope the poor girl gets better - Maa had her eye out in the end as it was destroyed - she recovered just fine and only died recently from heart disease, nothing to do with the abscess.

Sending vibes, I had a bunny called Daisy with a Retobulbar abcess too, if she well enough to have her eye removed?

I do hope Daisy feels better soon. Lexie had a retrobulbar abcess and like Elves' Maa eventually lost her eye to it. She was only a year when this happene and her previous owner did all the hardwork nurseing and rehabilitating her but it dosn't bother her in the least now.

I hope the antibiotics start to have some effect soon....is she still having painkillers?

Thanks everyone, reading your posts is encouraging. The vet didn't seem to hold out much hope for a rabbit with a retrobulbar abcess - why am I surprised?? She said there's not much they can do but whilst standing there listening to her I knew I'd heard that rabbits can have the eye removed in such cases. Anyway, it might not even be an abscess!

Daisy has improved slightly, I honestly thought she was going to slip away this morning, I've never seen her look so ill. She's still not eating or drinking, or moving a great deal for that matter so I think I need to get some water into her soon.

She's still on Metacam for the pain, the dose has been upped from 2 to 3 drops daily.

Thankfully, Daisy is still with us but she's still not at all right. Harvey is doing his very best to comfort her and is now not bothering her eye at all, she must have told him off :lol:

She managed to drink a bit of water on her own this morning and I've seen her eat some grated apple but that's all. She was exactly the same when she was spayed and had us worried sick for days.

I am desperately hoping she pulls through this one. I'm constantly going into their room to check on them hoping to see her digging out the contents of her litter tray as she usually would (especially after it's just been changed!).

Back