• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!!! Sore hocks

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
hello

Both Milly and Molly now have sore hocks. They both have a small circle on their hocks where the fur has rubbed away and the skin is pink underneath. There is no cracking, redness, etc yet. Their hutch is covered with thick hay/straw and they go out in their run which is on grass for 9 hours a day. The only thing that could have caused this is the roofing felt on top of their shelter. Is there anything I can do to cover it? They love digging and if I put a towel on there, they'd dig at it and get rid of it. They are going to vets next week to get microchipped and I will ask the vet then about their hocks. Over the winter, they had paper over part of their hutch and their run was on rubber mats. I think this may have started it off, but the fur is still disappearing now, so something is still aggrivating it. Help!!! What would the vet usually advise? The bunnies' nails are kept as short as they can go, because the quick is quite far down the nail.

poppy had this - i put a hutchin the run for shelter and she just sat on top of it all day and scratched her feet to bits :roll: I got some rubber matting and fastened it over the roofing felt by hammering netting staples through it.

What do you have in their litter tray? Could it be a bit of urine scald which has started it off - this is what happened with one of mine as he sat in the tray for a while. :rolleyes: I now put in megazorb with hay over so any urine is soaked up as best we can. They are still pink and I put Sudocrem on if they look bad, but the fur is still not growing back.

I have also just bought a huge piece of vetbed to line their run to see if that helps as it is soft.

The litter trays have wood pellet litter underneath sheets of newspaper and tons of hay is added on top. I personally don't think it's that, but the top of the shelter. Everything else is soft so that's the only bit of hard ground they are on.

They are going to the vets tonight to be microchipped and see about those sore hocks. Hope any treatment is not too stressful for them.

As long as they arent sore looking or bleeding etc i wouldnt worry too much about it. If they appear cracked etc you can put a bit of sudocrem on them as this can help. I put carpet on my concrete run covered with bath mats and this helps. As well as plenty of hay - but one of my rexes has the same but luckily ive managed to keep them intact and no sign of redness etc.

Back