• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Looking for some advice on a broken nail.

NatalieH

New Kit
My rabbit Kia has had an absess for a couple of weeks now and I took her back for a check up today after she had it drained.
The nurse who dealt with her had never seen her before and as soon as I took her in she started squeezing the absess even though it was obvious it was hurting her as she was struggling to get away. Eventually she told me to wait out reception and she went into the back to clean it.

They put her back in the box and as soon as I got home I noticed one of her nails from her back foot has broken off, it certainly wasn't like that before so I have a feeling it may have happened when she was struggling to get away. I phoned them for advice and they said if I was worried to take her back down but I'm not sure that's the best idea since she's been through enough today already.

It's only been bleeding a little but I'm worried that it could get irritated as her bed is hay.

Could anyone please give me some advice on what I should do? Should I leave it to heal itself or am I best taking her back to the vets to have it checked on?

One of the bunnies at the pet shop where I work had a broken nail. We bathed it in warm, salthy water twice a day, every day and a week later, it was fine, no infection, nothing. That's all I can advise. If it bleeds loads, or she stops eating, etc, take her to the vet. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks, I'll try that! She's on antibiotics just now so hopefully that would prevent an infection.

I've to take her back again on Tuesday so I'll get it checked up on then!

I think I may start to look for someone else to take my rabbits to after Kia's treatment is finished. The majority of the vets in my surgery that have dealt with them don't seem to treat them like they're important! One of them was about to put Kia to sleep as it "might" be a tumour and she only got a second opinion because I was upset!

Unfortunately abcesses are a bit of a mare for buns and you do need to clean them out thoroughly - I have a bun with a small one at the mo and he wriggles like mad when I clean it out and I know it's not particularly comfortable for him but it has to be done - a treat afterwards usually cuts the sulking down to about 15mins :rolleyes: Keep an eye on the nail, I've had a bun lose one and it did bleed like mad initially but they lick them and this tends to stem the flow. Like LL said try and keep it as clean as possible and just make sure no infection flares up. The bonus is she is already on abs so should be just fine :)

Yeah, I had tried to clean it myself but she was not very happy so I couldn't get much from it! It started off quite small, but at the beginning they told me to wait for it to burst naturally. Since that didn't seem to be happening, and it had swollen really badly, they drained it. None of my bunnies have had an absess before so it was a shock when I first noticed it! It's also in a really unusual place (on her ear) so luckily the draining seems to be working so far but it could've been much worse as they thought that it may have been deep down inside her ear. Hopefully that's not the case!
I'll make sure I do! She seems as bright as usual so it must not be bothering her now!

Back