• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Hopping/Rabbit Show Jumping

mikoli

New Kit
Hi,

I'm new here, and I was wondering if anyone on this forum is involved with the sport of rabbit hopping? It is a sport in which a rabbit on a harness and leash complete a series of jumps in a certain amount of time. It is very similar to horse show jumping, except of course it's a rabbit on a harness and not a horse with a rider on it's back.

I used to train my rabbit, Ollie, in this before he sadly passed away earlier this year. I also used to run a rabbit hopping forum, which I am now trying to bring back into activity.

I'd love to chat with anyone involved with this sport, and hear about your experiences. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Rachel.

i tried to teach this to duchess set up a small jump (off harness) and put her one side and food the other and she gave me the 'you want me to do what?!?!? look) plus both of mine hate a harness so dont think either would be any good :lol: if i had the right bunny though would love to have a go looks like great fun :D

I've done it in the past but never won any prices.
Zakura plowed through all the obstacles and Sasuke...he started taking after her as he got older:roll:
Aroma might do good if she ever started.

Rabbit hopping is great fun. :) I think my rabbit's height record was something like 75cm before he passed away. He loved it, but some rabbits never really take to it.

Has anyone tried rabbit agility? It's like rabbit hopping, but there's tunnels and seesaws and such.

I thought about it, but all the videos and stuff I saw were smaller bunnies....quite often dutches. I have frenchies so I didnt think they would take to it too well being decidedly less 'springy' than their smaller counterparts!
Tried blue once though, sans harness....he just tried to go round then wriggled under :roll:
Good luck though!
x

YES YES YES!
Please mail me for more info?
You don't happen to live in the north of England do you, Yorkshire area?
There is a small competition at Honley Show, and we depsperately need people to enter!

I really want to do it with Blue but wouldnt know were to start looking for comp near me. Ive started teaching him to walk and that on a harness so a long way to go yet :lol:

The first competition is at Honley Show, and thats in Yorkshire. And I don't think there are many plans to start more competitions any time soon. We need lots more people interested first.

Firstly - Hi and Welcome to RU:wave:

Secondly I am new to rabbit jumping/hopping as well however I have to ask this, how do you know your rabbit enjoys it? :oops:

I personally don't like the idea of using a rabbit harness, but if the rabbit doesn't mind then I'm not bothered.

I think it would be nicer to see rabbit doing show jumping themselves without harnesses so that way we know they aren't being forced. However I'm sure you are not like that!

Firstly - Hi and Welcome to RU:wave:

Secondly I am new to rabbit jumping/hopping as well however I have to ask this, how do you know your rabbit enjoys it? :oops:
They jump when faced before an obstacle.
I've got some lazy ones who'll just tear down the obstacle and crawl under it:roll:
My rabbits were all harness-trained since they were around 3-4 months old (except Cloud... I haven't tried him on a harness and don't think I ever will, he's quite nervous)

If the rabbit didn't like jumping, it wouldn't do it. And without harnesses, the rabbit is likely to run off.

Hello---New to Forum from Oregon USA

:wave:

Hello Everyone,

I was searching for rabbit hopping in England so that I might add new links to my hopping yahoo group and my new hopping website.
If others know of new links to hopping and agility sites in England please let me know. You can send the information in this group so others can view it too and possibly bendfit everyone and I will get the emails directed to my yahoo email account.

My rabbit hopping yahoo group is at the following address:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/RabbitHoppingUSA-Agility/

The rabbit hopping web site that is brand new and just started recently is in a work in progress. Doing it when I have time.
www.rabbithopping-usa.webs.com

I would like to invite anyone that is interested in rabbit hopping to visit our sites.
I started rabbit hopping over 7 years ago. I used to have a rabbit hopping website many years ago that I took down because there was a lack of interest after a couple of years.
Then recently I started this new web site because of more interest to rabbit hopping in the USA. Then recently there started to be more people visiting my yahoo group and it seems to be growing all the time.

There used to be rabbit hopping in England many years ago and a web site that talked about it there. But I don't think it lasted too long.
I have been looking and looking for others that might know of websites that show rabbit hopping in England so I can add the links to my web site and group. While searching the web I came across this forum.

There is a rabbit agility group in Canada now and there is a link to the site in my yahoo group. I have added a few other new links there too that show locations of other rabbit hopping sites.
You must register into the yahoo group and then you can look at the listed links and photos and rules to rabbit hopping there.

The rules I have posted in my group are a shorter version of the original rules that were translated with the help of Aase Bjerner from Denmark. She visited me some years ago here in the USA and helped me with rabbit hopping in Oregon.

It is one of the best sports and hobbies that one can do with a rabbit. It is a relaxing and fun sport for the rabbits and their owners.
Rabbits learn the hopping and agility quickly and it is safe and fun for everyone. It creates a close relationship between rabbit and owner and teaches a responsibility with young rabbit owners and their pets.

Everyone is welcome to visit my sites and please comment if you will and tell me more about what others are doing in England with rabbit hopping.

Thank you
Linda * BunTraveler

Last edited:
Back