• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive drinking?

Dot

Warren Scout
I've recently got a new rabbit - had him 4 weeks now and his drinking is what I'd class as excessive. He's getting through a full bottle of water in 24-36 hours :shock: That compares with his mate who is a similar size where a full bottle would have lasted around a week given the rate of drinking.

It doesn't seem to be weather dependant as it's continued now that it's cooled down from a couple of weeks ago. Feed-wise, he's on predominantly hay plus some veggies and a handful of pellets once a day. I don't know if the pellets are partly to blame as 2 of my other rabbits seem to be drinking slightly more (recently changed from Suparabbit to Allen & Page), but the pellet change coincided with warmer weather, so I'm not sure.

I've never had a rabbit that drinks this much :? Does it sound like there's something going on that shouldn't be and I need to go to the vets next week?

*bump*

:wave: no advice i'm afraid but I'd see a vet if it's concerning you alot, just bumping it up for you to see if anyone else can contribute.

:wave: HI POPPY IS EXACTLY THE SAME SHE CONSUMES A BOTTLE IN 24HRS, IVE BEEN TOLD BY THE VET THE PELLETS ARE DRY AND THAT IT IS GOOD SHE DRINKS WELL.MY OTHER BUNS HAVE NEVER DRANK THIS MUCH, BUT EVERY RABBIT IS DIFFERENT THAT WAY. NOW SHE WONT DRINK OUT OF HER BOTTLE AND HAS A BOWL:rolleyes:, HOPE THIS HELPS.

:wave: HI POPPY IS EXACTLY THE SAME SHE CONSUMES A BOTTLE IN 24HRS, IVE BEEN TOLD BY THE VET THE PELLETS ARE DRY AND THAT IT IS GOOD SHE DRINKS WELL.MY OTHER BUNS HAVE NEVER DRANK THIS MUCH, BUT EVERY RABBIT IS DIFFERENT THAT WAY. NOW SHE WONT DRINK OUT OF HER BOTTLE AND HAS A BOWL, HOPE THIS HELPS.

i had a feeling water consumption was individual to each rabbit. i would imagine that if he's always been a big drinker then that's just the way your bun is. what breed is he? my mini lop drinks between 150-200ml each day.

:wave: Firstly - to probably state the obvious, are you sure that the bottle isn't leaking? What size is the bottle?

If not, of course each rabbit does drink a different amount so you should expect some variation but if it does seem like a lot, I'd pop him to the vets for a check up as there are a few conditions (kidney problems, e.cuniculi infection etc) which can show up as excess thirst. Have you noticed anything else slightly 'odd' - e.g. weeing all over the place, very 'gritty' white wee, slightly weakened back legs, slight tilt of the head, straining whilst weeing, weight loss, sneezing, any nasal discharge etc? Anything like this would add to the thought that he may have some kind of problem which will need a vet to look at.

Last edited:
Bin there, done that just last month.
Alfie drank far more than the 'normal' 150 ml in 24 hours,
I recorded his water consumption for a few days before the vet appointment.
He had blood and urine checks and everything was within the range of fine.
Yes, it cost money to put my mind at rest but I am am confident Alfie is a thirsty rabbit.
(Has hay and pellets and veg for his diet.)

Given a course of panacur to cover the only other base.

Last edited:
Thanks guys :) It's probably nothing and that's just him - he was vet checked 4 weeks ago, just before I picked him up, and there was nothing wrong with him then. He's a mini (?) lop (dutch sort of size - is that a mini?). Not showing any other symptoms of anything at all. He sleeps a lot, but he also runs about a lot as well. He's eating fine and everything seems to be functioning ok.

Water bottle definitely isn't leaking.

I'll have a chat with my vet and see if he thinks there's any need for concern though :)

Mine are both mini rexes and the male drinks twice as much as the female. Leo can drink a full water bottle in less than 36 hours where Oliva drinks about half of one in the same time. We asked the vet too, and it seems all is fine, he is just a thirsty bunny too.

Generally unless one of my buns has excessive thirst coupled with other symptoms such as excessive urination, weightloss, incontinence or hind leg weakness as a few examples I dont panic.

However I have in the past had full blood profiles run on buns with excessive thirst and other symptoms to check mainly on their renal function. I will also Panacur them for 6 weeks 'just in case' of EC.

By the way, you dont say what size his water bottle is?

Generally unless one of my buns has excessive thirst coupled with other symptoms such as excessive urination, weightloss, incontinence or hind leg weakness as a few examples I dont panic.

However I have in the past had full blood profiles run on buns with excessive thirst and other symptoms to check mainly on their renal function. I will also Panacur them for 6 weeks 'just in case' of EC.

By the way, you dont say what size his water bottle is?

What classes as excessive urination? He's probably weeing about as much as is going in (huge amounts compared with the others, even the ones that are bigger than him).

Water bottle is 500ml.

That the paper is soaked within a couple of days or you tip the litter tray and urine collects in a pool in the corner because the substrate cant absorb it. Basically the toileting quarters quickly become saturated.

I'd say that's definitely the case. I have to take out huge amounts of saturated bedding every day.

I'll take him to the vets next week and get him checked out. I'm not convinced there's nothing going on.

I'd say that's definitely the case. I have to take out huge amounts of saturated bedding every day.

I'll take him to the vets next week and get him checked out. I'm not convinced there's nothing going on.

I would ask your vet about running blood tests to check liver & kidney function and also start a 6 week course of Panacur as a precaution against a possible active EC infection....which can damage the renal system :(

I've recently got a new rabbit - had him 4 weeks now and his drinking is what I'd class as excessive. He's getting through a full bottle of water in 24-36 hours :shock: That compares with his mate who is a similar size where a full bottle would have lasted around a week given the rate of drinking.

It doesn't seem to be weather dependant as it's continued now that it's cooled down from a couple of weeks ago. Feed-wise, he's on predominantly hay plus some veggies and a handful of pellets once a day. I don't know if the pellets are partly to blame as 2 of my other rabbits seem to be drinking slightly more (recently changed from Suparabbit to Allen & Page), but the pellet change coincided with warmer weather, so I'm not sure.

I've never had a rabbit that drinks this much :? Does it sound like there's something going on that shouldn't be and I need to go to the vets next week?

Most of mine get though that unless they have had a spring green too many:Dwhich then they will get the water from the greens

My rabbits all drink around a full bottle a day. Paquira drinks a lot of water but I think this is because she has to have mostly dry food as she can only tolerate small amounts of fresh veg.

Mine drink tons :) Also they're bottle is quite like... runny, if you slightly knock it it'll dribble. That might be a little element. If if is bugging you just quickly phone the vet

Is he definatly drinking it cos i noticed Barleys bottle half empty today but then also noticed its started to leak if i walk near cage!:)

He's definitely drinking it. There's no sign of leaks, no wet bedding around the bottle and lots nowhere near it.

Going to call vet on Tuesday, just to check :)

Back