• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making friends

MaxPrimal

New Kit
Hi, I got a rabbit from a local rescue to replace one that had to be put down due to a spinal injury - and to give my existing rabbit a new friend.

The new rabbit is a bit young male (about 1-1 1/2 years old) called Fritz. My existing rabbit female around 4 years old, called Doris. They get on fine (like mother and son). They where bonded over 5 days as part of the service from the rescue centre (who also made sure Fritz was netured and vacinated as well), which is a really good service if you ask me.

Now my existing rabbit and me are not friends sadly - she runs a mile from me. And the new rabbit is doing the same. Weather this is fear of his new sourroundings, hutch or Doris has told him to run from me as she hates me and he is doing just that.

If I try to touch him, he normally runs. If I do managed to get him and hold him I often end up with clawed arms/wrists when I try to let him go (my wrists are REALLY painfull now). This I assume is him just wanting to get away fast and using his claws to help.

So what is the best way to try and make friends with Fritz? I gave up with Doris months ago but really want to get on wtih Fritz as he is soft and really cuddly. But I fear I will end up alienating him like I did with Doris.

Any thoughts would be really welcomed.

Just go and sit with them, let them clamber all over you, sniff you, lick you...

It'll take time for them to come over so make sure you have a book or something! That also helps 'cos you're not paying them any attention! :lol:

Back