• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions!

Mini5476

Young Bun
Does appetite change with Neutering? My buck is still eating just not half as much as he used to, He never had much of an interest in hay but loved his pellets and veg, but now he doesnt eat much pellets but is still interested in veg.
Also he is confined a bit more the last ten days because I've got a female recently, They will be introduced soonso links to bonding info would be helpful.

Are there any Irish people on this site? I'd like to know where I can get good quality hay as the pets shops here generally dont have timothy hay.

One last question, the new girl had some red urine stains in her cage, I read a thread here and put it down to the change in her diet, what other reasons could there be for red urine.
Also I never had a femal rabbit so will I see blood sometimes when she menstruates?

well before I forget - incase your vet didn't say, your boy will be fertile for up to 8 weeks after being neutered. And really they want hay more than pellets anyway - mine only get a small handful of pellets a day, but they get through a pile of hay about as big as their body size. You can try riding stables for good hay - they might sell you a part bale, or farm shops if you have a car? I get mine online but it's expensive - got no car though.

As for female rabbits they don't menstruate - the red wee is due to her diet changing. If they do wee and it's clear with spots or streaks of blood in it, that's when you should worry as they could have a bladder infection or an inflamed womb, so would need spaying.

No tips on bonding I'm afraid - I've not had much luck with it and my single boy seems happy alone. I know you need neutral area for introductions, and you need to leave them there for a few days and nights, supervised, so it's a good idea to put a pen in your bedroom or use the bathroom etc, so long as neither already lives there. Certainly the key to bonding guinea pigs without a fight is give them lots of food to distract them - piles of hay, veggies, fresh long grass, dandelions etc, if they are used to having them (don't risk an upset stomach if not) With rabbits they will want at least 2 big litter boxes with hay in, cardboard boxes etc. to chew, and you will need a broom, or washing basket, or water spray to seperate them safely if they fight badly - just a nip and a chase is fine, but don't let them lock onto each other and kick.

You must also clean, deodorise and preferably move the hutch or wherever they will be living together - so it's neutral to them both again.

Hello I have just joined this site as a member today and have to say i think it is the best site ever!:D I would like to help you with the query on timothy hay in ireland. Im irish and know nearly every pet shop in ireland as i can never stop buying for my beloved bunnies but am not sure what part you are located in. Im in dublin and there is a good place in kinsealy that sells timothy hay and supa excel hay also. If you are outside dublin let me know where and mabye i can help, cheers,liz... bunny mummy to Toto, Teddy, Belle, Dizzle, Blizzard, Bibble, Star, Lily and Bambi.

Hello I have just joined this site as a member today and have to say i think it is the best site ever!:D I would like to help you with the query on timothy hay in ireland. Im irish and know nearly every pet shop in ireland as i can never stop buying for my beloved bunnies but am not sure what part you are located in. Im in dublin and there is a good place in kinsealy that sells timothy hay and supa excel hay also. If you are outside dublin let me know where and mabye i can help, cheers,liz... bunny mummy to Toto, Teddy, Belle, Dizzle, Blizzard, Bibble, Star, Lily and Bambi.

Welcome to RU!! :wave:
I completely agree with Elve on this one.
Although my male used to pray red wee everywhere but that stopped when i neutured him. It's so long ago i can't remember why.

oooh I forgot to say - sometimes when they just favour veg it's because their back teeth are hurting their mouth - it's hard for a vet to see them properly without anaesthetic though - has he had tooth problems before? If they don't eat much hay this can be the result as it doesn't grind off the sharp little edges that grow on their teeth.

another thing - if he's not getting much exercise now his guts may be slowing down, what with him not eating hay - you need to be very careful if this happens, so try and get him to drink plenty by putting his water in a dish, warmed with a bit from the kettle, and try and let him have at least 2 runs out every day, morning and evening. If his poos get very tiny or there's not many of them, he needs a vet for fluids and a checkover - might need a gut stimulant or some fibreplex. Can you syringe stuff into him OK, just incase?

My little bunny Leon got neutered on the 2nd of May and he wasnt eating like he normally does but I did notice yesterday during the week he was going back to his normal self.

For two weeks after he got neutered he didnt seem that bothered about his meals. In the morning my two rabbits usually get really excited when the see me cause they know its breakfast time but he didnt seem interested. He did eat but just not as much, he was leaving mostly his pellets.

When did your little guy get neutered?

Back