• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

are hutch snuggles worth the money?

imo these prices are outrageous! in the winter i use old duvets, sleeping bags and carpet covered with either off cuts of lino, tarpaulin or shower curtains. there are others on here with other great ideas too.

Yes I thought they were a bit expensive, especially if they're not that great! I've done a quick search on here and have found a couple of ideas, for now I think I'll just use a shower curtain for rain. I'm new to this outdoor stuff, I don't normally have to consider rain and wind! :D

I use a big sheet of tarpulin for overnight and the rain if I have any buns in the hutch. For the playhouse I just close the door, but I do put the tarpulin over the run in winter to keep it dry.

I use a layer of bubble wrap in the winter and then a big tarpaulin over the top plus a snuggle safe for each pair of buns. They seem to have found this okay for the last two winters, in fact given the choice, most of my buns spent their time outside in their secure runs anyway except for the really cold nights.

I wouldn't think that it's worth paying that much for a hutch hugger. A massive tarpaulin at Wickes is only just over £5 and does a massive hutch and run combination. That would be my recommendation.:D

I've got one that came with a secondhand hutch. I don't like them at all. During the day it condensates so wood is wet!! I have removed it and I use tarp and a shower curtain. On the other hutch I used car sun screens taped together with duck tape.

I use tarpaulin as well, much better value and you don't get any condensation. Just bought some more tarp from B & Q special green garden tarp thats waterproof and rot proof huge massive bit and cost £7.99 must be enough for about 3-4 hutches. Going to keep mine and re-cover hutch again next year, bargain :)

£70?! :shock: you must be kidding me!
I use an old duvet, and i think that keeps them very warm, i would never buy that :?

I have a car cover that covers both my hutches. My Mum was given it for her metro, but very rarely used it, so it just sat in the garage for ages, but now its a hutch cover :D

We also made bottle covers out of bubble wrap, foil and gaffa tape :D

I made my own with that silver insulation stuff from B&Q which was on offer and a tarpaulin, soooo much cheaper and pretty much exactly the same thing

the roof on my hutch opens, so I have clear shower curtain over the top hutch part permanently stapled, and cover the whole lot up including run underneath, with cheap rugs at night, held down with nursery fireguards which I use as mobile fencing in the day. That lot cost me about £40 so the hutch snuggle's not that bad a price and looks better, but I doubt it's as well ventilated. Plus in bad weather my hutch still has plastic over the wire keeping it dry, and I fold down one of the rugs to shelter the run in the day if it's really horrible. the water's only frozen once this winter but it's near the house so quite sheltered.

Alternatively you could use a garden bench cover over an old duvet - that would only cost a few £'s but they get a bit spooked by anything too rustly when it's windy, and it would be a bit of a pain taking it off in wet weather - same goes for hutch snuggle though.

Hi got a cheaper version (virtually identical to the p@h ones) custom made on ebay and would not ever be without it. Not only does it protect the hutch and rabbits from the rain and wind, but it keeps it cool in the sun and dark at night. It is invaluable. The ebay seller does not appear to stil trade from ebay sadly, but in priciple if you can afford the rain cover/snuggle I BELIEVE THEY ARE FANTASTIC.
Vic

I bought a cover for patio furniture from Tesco a few weeks ago. Works well as it's the right shape for my hutchand was only four pounds. Then place fleece and a duvet underneath in the winter.

I also have the custom made one from ebay the man trades under the name c.a.b.j .......... i bought it 2 weeks ago following advice on another tread (from Vic I think) it's great! it has a choice of fronts including a fly screen and rain cover - is like a hutch hugger and hutch snuggle all in one and cost less than the snuggle from P@H. Highly Recommended thanks for the advise :D

Back