• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Time out of hutch

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi we put our rabbits outisde in thier runs but most of them want to go back after just an hour. Is this normal? I've read that rabbits need at least 2 hours.

When you put them in the run do they have access to somewhere safe to hide? A rabbit without a 'bolthole' will feel very vulnerable and will not enjoy themselves, they also need water while they're out there and shade. What time do you put them out too?

My rabbits have access to a run for at least 12 hours a day (it varies in size, when I'm out a 6x3 fixed run attached to the playhouse, when I'm around a huge or 9 feet open topped run). They are out mostly in the morning (about 6.30am-8.30am) and in the evenings from about 4pm onwards.

I can tell because if they do manage to jump up and knock the pegs keeping the net over the run off and get out they go back to thier hutches and try to get in. I put a tube in the run as well as one of those coloured shelters pets at home have in with thier animals. They get water and they still don't like being out for too long. They are usually put out any time after 4pm. Some of ours don't mind being out for hours it's just a few that don't like being out for long which is quite weird considering the amoutn of time outside everyone is saying they need. If we do try to leave them all they do is get stressed out and keep on jumping up to get out.

Mine are out on the grass for about 9 hours each day. Mine love it and they love flopping out and binkying around. Maybe just leave them there and see if they calm down.

I often notice my buns have a run around then go back to their hutch for a nap then out again. Is there anyway you can attach the run to the hutch so they can come & go as they want?

That's not possible. Where we have the hutches is away from the grass. We are building a shed to shelter the hutches (mainly for winter) as well. Today when i put them out i put in one of our plastic stools as well as 2 of our plastic shelter things from pets at home and a tube. They were out for 1.5 hours this time before they started trying to jump up which is longer than normal.

Can anyone suggest anything that i can get for them to chew while outside? They like chewing things and i can't think of anything to give them.

Apple tree cuttings are good, willow rings/toys, anything like that. Mine enjoy shredding cardboard boxes.

Are the hutches far away? I've seen people join hutches/runs up with tunnels where it's no practical to attach them together next to each other :)

I find that my rabbits are most active early morning and evening onwards. For example now it's just after five am and the two that I let out a few minutes ago are roaring round the garden together. During the day wild rabbits tend to sleep under cover, and that's what mine do too, emerging later on for more binkying/feeding. I think it's a question of tuning in as far as possible to what they do in the wild, if that is safe/possible....

My rabbits were a bit like that at first but they soon got used to the run and spend most of the time in there now.
How big is the run and how many buns do you put in together? It may be that the one's that want to go back in their hutch don't have enough 'me space'.

Last edited:
mine run out of their hutches/shed directly onto the patio - they usually put themselves back in their homes after less than an hour, so in order to make them exercise more I give them 3 or 4 runs out a day (as they do tend to run about for at least 10mins when I let them out, before having a kip) and shut them in the rest of the time to eat hay and snooze - they seem happy with that :)

Back