• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

coming off baytril...help

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I had a different vet from normal when i took Sorrl for ehr myxi booster. I asked if it was ok to *finally* take hr off baytril as she's been on for months and she said yes, to reduce the dose gradually and support with a probiotic whilst doing so. is this normal, what function does it serve and where do i get probiotic from?

I realise I should have asked her this but she was in a massive stress cos it was the end of the shift and had already dropped several things so i wasnt confident of getting a good answer. :?

I'm requesting my normal vet when we go for VHD :roll: so I can ask her then, I just thought I'd see what you guys think. i hadnt heard of probiotic use for coming off baytril. (but then I'm not a vet ;) )

can't they be vaccinated if they're on abx?

*thinks*

I guess the abx could neutralise the effects of the vaccs, given that its made of a weakened strain of the disease? is that right?

Time for a chat with my usual vet i think :(

can't they be vaccinated if they're on abx?

*thinks*

I guess the abx could neutralise the effects of the vaccs, given that its made of a weakened strain of the disease? is that right?

Time for a chat with my usual vet i think :(

Its not that, but in order for the Vaccine to be effective it needs a good immune response. If the Bun's immune system is compromised ( as it would be if active infection is present) then the Vaccine may not have any effect.
Having the Vaccine is unlikely to harm her, it just *might* not be very effective.

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Janex

Agree with Jane am surprised they vaccinated whilst still on antibiotics. At the practice where I work we won't vaccinate unless the animal is healthy and any antibiotics were finished 7-10 days previously.

My bunny's been on Baytril for suspected snuffles and my vet advised me to use probiotics while he was on it to keep his immune system high. Not sure about it specifically if he's coming of them though. I figured it was worth a shot and unlikely to do any harm. I got mine from Pets at Home. It's a powder you can sprinkle over food or add to water. I also added a couple drops of liquid echinaecea (not sure how you spell it!) to his water, after reading previous posts on here about immune systems.

My rabbit's was due his VHD vac whilst on Baytril and vet has advised me to wait until he's off it. Having said that, Teddy's only on been on Baytril for a few wekks, maybe if your bunnie's been on it for months the vet figured a poorly effective mixi vacc is better than no vacc at all? (I've no knowledge on this tho-just speculating).

Yes, I thought that probiotics were useful whilst *on* antibiotics because the abx decrease the gut flora - so it seemed weird that they would be extra necessary when coming *off* as surely the gut flora would increase again naturally, although i guess any support is useful.

I think I'll wean her off it then go in for a chat with my usual vet. I'm not even sure the myxi would have been effective anyway as a lot of it seemed to go on the table, and her fur - thats not normal is it?!

Back