• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth Clipping Advise Needed !!!!!

beckys bunnies

Warren Scout
:wave: As anyone ever had to have a rabbits teeth clipped? I've just sort of rescued a little rabbit and noticed that her teeth needs clipping :roll: So just rang me vets for a price and the lady on the reception asked me if she needed to be PTS to have this done :shock: told her i've never had a rabbit before which needed it's teeth doing so i didn't know, Now waiting for her to ring me back to let me know if the rabbit does need to be PTS to have this done :roll: Any advise would be very good thanks :D

PTS is "put to sleep", as is euthanised:shock::shock::shock:

I guess she means will she need to be anaethetised:lol:

Most good rabbit savvy vet use a drill to trim front teeth - clipping is too severe and can cause the tooth to split and fall out completely.

Make sure you find a vet who can do it with the drill (they just run the drill painlessly across the teeth and it gives them a nice clean cut):shock:

Hi spoke with my vets this morning and they have told me that they clip the teeth they don't use a drill so don't know what to do now, don't want to take it if it's going to cause problems in the long run with splitting and falling out. Just want to do the best for the rabbit :cry:

Try another vets :) If the teeth don't meet properly and the rabbit needs regular dentals you'll need a good vet who can do teeth with a drill, otherwise you will end up with problms. One of my buns has a missing bottom tooth so needs her one tooth touched up every couple of months. The drill is painless and I didn't think a vet would need to put a bun under to do it? Good luck.

Assuming that it's the front teeth (incisors) and not the back teeth (molars) that need doing then most vets are capable of doing this whilst the rabbit is conscious using a dental burr and mouth guard. It takes a few minutes, is painless and costs about £10.

Depending on how regularly your rabbit needs this doing and how the teeth meet it may be that they actually correct themselves slightly over time or in the worst case scenario, they need to be extracted.

:wave: i have at least 4 that have their teeth filed, with a dentel drill, its ok the buns have it with out being knocked out. it takes about 5 minutes to do. nurse will hold bun will vet trims. they only use anasthetic if they think bunny needs it.

Back