• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

playpen without cage?

willowholly

Mama Doe
Right im really sorry,this is going to be long winded!:lol:Last night i ordered B a playpen to attach to front of her cage but im wondering now about getting rid of the cage altogether.My buns have always had a cage with straw/hay bedding and their cage door left open so they can come and go.We took Willows cage away once and it went like a treat apart from the fact she couldn't get the hang of a water bowl so we ended up putting her cage back just to hang her water from it!!!!At christmas time i took away B's bedding and put a giant corner tray and towels in it.This worked quite well but when she jumped into cage she slipped and her bad paw was playing up so decided this wasn't safe for her.Now with her new pen i could put her rugs both sides of door so she wouldn't slip cos i dont think she likes lying on hay,she always clears a space and when out of cage she most often sits on the laminate floor as apposed to the rugs.What do you think?Am going to post pictures of what we tried at christmas and how she is living at mo.She has no litter trays at mo in or out of her cage[another incredably long,boring story!!:lol:]as she wees anywhere in cage as its all hay.

Yes, you would be fine using just the playpen if you wanted :) The other option would be to take the top off the cage and just put the base in for her hay etc to contain the mess. If you left the cage in you might have an issue with her using it as a spring board anyway :lol:

It might be an idea to have some sort of covered bed in there (just a cardboard box even) just so she has somewhere to retreat to if she wanted :)

Tam

My playpens are set up like this
1026.jpg

100_0278.jpg

This is what things are like at mo[without litter trays]i know her cage small but shes free range 17hrs a day.feel cage is too small for night hence play pen.
Tell her not to sit so close to the TV, she'll go crosseyed :lol:

What a lucky bunny :)

i would love to get rid of the crate and have just the playpen but alvin is a type of brute force lad and it wouldnt stay where its meant to if it wasnt anchored down. lol

lovely photos btw :)

i would love to get rid of the crate and have just the playpen but alvin is a type of brute force lad and it wouldnt stay where its meant to if it wasnt anchored down. lol

lovely photos btw :)

Yes i was wondering that actually.Her dog basket is against the wall cos as she runs at it with such force it moves.I think the best thing i can do is have a play before i starting cutting openings in the pen.Think i might keep the cage as a giant litter tray as she likes digging at the straw too but would keep wire on cos she bounces off door to go in and out.If i took it away i'd have to find away of securing the litter tray to pen as he likes to bang things around and as my neighbours bedroom is next door to B's room i'd hate for her to be too noisy[another reason why shes caged at mo.]Her cage lay out could stay the same.Sorry im thinking out loud again!

Back