• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gladioli? Poisonous or not?

Well, Me and the Oh have spent months getting the garden safe for the buns to free range. We let them out for a trial run starting with Barney and Bubbles, if any bun is going to find the only bit I missed, it will be these 2:roll:!!

Bubbles jumped up onto the veg plot and I had to stop her from eating the horseradish plant, turn round to see where Barney was and I see the remains of a Gladioli leaf going into his chops. I have always been under the impression any bulb plant is poisonous?

My vet and another expert I know said to feed him some charcoal which I have been for the last 2 days, and to see vet if I notice any changes in him.

Barney is fine in himself, poos are normal, he's eating all his hay and food. I looked up Gladioli on the net and the website I found led me to believe Barney should be dead by now:shock::shock:

Any thoughts?

I thought plants that grew from bulbs were bad too - but if Barney is ok still, then I think he's got away with it! My buns have accidently had a few things that they shouldn't have had too - i wonder if they realise its bad before they eat enough to harm them??

Just a question - how do you feed them charcoal??

quite often poisons, even ragwort, will be OK if just a small amount is consumed once - ragwort for instance will only kill an animal if they either eat a lot in one go, or if they eat a small amount every day, in which case the toxins build up gradually till they damage the liver irreperably. Some plants are listed poisonous because they cause anything from a sore mouth, to gastric upset, to liver failure - it all depends on which particular chemicals are in that plant. So I would expect your bunny is fine now, so long as he doesn't make a habit of taking poison :)

glads are a no-no but as elve said, lots of them are ok in small doses & are most likely to cause stomache upset & sore mouths/ulcers. Glads isn't on the "one mouthful & you're a gonner" list as far as I know. THose are:

Aconitum - Monkshood
Arum - Cuckoo pint.
Colchicum - The autumn crocus - Can be fatal if eaten
Convallaria - Lily of the Valley
Cytisus - the Broom - All parts can be fatal if eaten.
Daphne - Shrub grown for its beautifully scented flowers-Can be Fatal
Delphinium - All parts Highly toxic - can be fatal if eaten
Digitalis - Foxgloves are everywhere.
Gloriosa superba - The beautiful Gloriosa Lily!
Laburnum - Beautiful golden rain flowers; Can be Fatal if eaten
Lantana - Now very popular in the summer border or planted tub!
Nerium - A beautiful conservatory plant
Phytolacca - The poke weed
Ricinus communis - Castor Oil Plant. Not to be confused with Fatsia.
Taxus/yew Veratrum - The false Hellebore.
Nightshade
Hemlock
Cherry
Ragwort
St johns wort

http://www.ttlntl.co.uk/2/Health/poisonplants.htm

Back