• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

readigrass.../hay?

xx-lou-xx

Young Bun
Yesterday i ran out of hay so popped to the nearest pet shop to get some. but all they had was readigrass (freeze dried grass...i think!:?), is thihs ok as a substitute for hay or does hay need to be given as well?

I think its quite high in calcium so should only be fed in small quantities but I could be wrong!

I think you're right but can't remember where I read it. Readigrass is quite rich so I only give mine a handful a day - they love it and would carry on eating it (Bella's been known to jump on top of the desk where the bag is and help herself :shock: - last time she very kindly pushed the bag on the floor so Tarquin could join in :roll:).

Is it high in calcium?Cos b on a low calcium diet.I dont give it to her very often[i think its been 3times in 1 1/2years]glad i found that out before i gave her anymore.Willow had readigrass more than hay and she was a big frenchie and since found out it is quite fattening,not sure if thats true or not.

it's not much higher in calcium than any other hay. It is however much higher in protein & should only be fed in moderation or risk upset tums and excess cac's. I'd never give mine more than a handful each otherwise its poop city.

Excel superforage is a dried grass that can be fed ablib though as it is much more hay like.

Excel superforage is a dried grass that can be fed ablib though as it is much more hay like.[/QUOTE]

tried this for the first time last week and b nearly bit my hand off to got to it!!She normally has oxbow Timothy Hay but it is very dear and i cant always get to where sells it so this is a good alternative as is excel herbal cos the dndelion good for her bladder problems.She loves that too.

Excel superforage is a dried grass that can be fed ablib though as it is much more hay like.

tried this for the first time last week and b nearly bit my hand off to got to it!!She normally has oxbow Timothy Hay but it is very dear and i cant always get to where sells it so this is a good alternative as is excel herbal cos the dndelion good for her bladder problems.She loves that too.[/QUOTE]

My spelling not normally this bad just dont check things!!!:lol:

It shouldn't be used in place of hay as it can cause sludgy wee if fed in excess.

All of my rabbits love it though, and have a handful between two of them along with their other hays each day:D

I was going to ask the same question! I just bought a bag and it's heaps dearer than hay! Thought it would nice for Smudge as he doesn't like hay. Myabe I'll just give a handful at a time after this one then. Ooops!

I'm confused :? If wild rabbits eat almost exclusively grass, why should Redigrass be fed in moderation if it's just freeze-dried grass? I'm not questioning anyone's theories here - I'm genuinely confused!! Mine have hay ad-lib, redigrass ad-lib AND excel super forage ad-lib. After reading the above posts, I may be doing something wrong and I don't want to continue this if it's not good for them.

As mine dont eat much hay, but tons of fresh grass i thought as a substitute to hay yeah go for it, bought it but it was munched for about 3 secs and i saw Toffee kick it into their sleeping bit!!! I never gave it to them again! :lol:

I'm confused :? If wild rabbits eat almost exclusively grass, why should Redigrass be fed in moderation if it's just freeze-dried grass? I'm not questioning anyone's theories here - I'm genuinely confused!! Mine have hay ad-lib, redigrass ad-lib AND excel super forage ad-lib. After reading the above posts, I may be doing something wrong and I don't want to continue this if it's not good for them.
I'm confused too, i'm not sure what you mean either though :lol: I just try and keep my animals diet as natural as possible, mainly food they'd eat in the wild although they do get museli.

Hi Spider :wave: I'm confused because some posts have said that you should only feed redigrass (and SuperForage) in moderation because it's a) high in calcium; b) high in protein; c) very rich and d) fattening - I'm not a dietician so I have no idea if this is right or wrong. If it's right, then I need to adjust the way that I currently feed it. My question is this - wild rabbits eat almost entirely grass so why would unlimited redigrass (which is just freeze-dried grass) be so bad for our pet buns? Can anyone help?

Last edited:
i think...maybe hay is nearer to grass but its just dried. with freeze dried maybe it's a different process of drying.. o i don't know its so confusing when evryone has different opinions.
im guessing everything in moderation ? :S maybe stick with ad lib hay? as that is what everyone seems to generally agree on.... :?

Back